Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
107366 tn?1305680375

Silla - Continuation of thread below

First of all, were you able to make any headway with HHS?  I'm like Pam.  It seems you have been given a lot of information that is not set in stone, and the only way to get to the bottom of it is to gather up what you have, and see a doctor who isn't a horse's rear.  Any doctor that gets mad at you for taking responsibility for your own health shouldn't have a license!  I understand you do not have insurance, and it is hard to find a doctor under those circumstances, but there has to be a way to find someone through social services, the health department, or one of the Holy Cross Hospitals.  Call the business office and speak to someone in billing.  Some hospitals have funds set up to help with medical costs.  The thing that concerns me is that you see someone....a regular GYN if that's all you can see at the moment, because the longer this goes on, the longer it has to potentially get worse.  Plus, it sounds like the doctor you went to gave you a whole lot of nothing...sympathy included.  We are not doctors here...we can only give you our opinions.  We'll help you as much as we can, but it is really important you search out a professional to make that call between Cervical or Ovarian cancer.  Check your area for free clinics for the working poor. Many communities have those.  Check out those web sites Anne posted the other day if you haven't done so yet.  This is NOT a lost cause.  There IS a way out there.  Just takes some detective work to find it.

Gail
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Each state is different, I am sure you gave them enough. They certainly don't give you very much money, like you I am single but have a boyfriend that helps me out plus my loving family.
I had stage three OVCA and had to suffer for a month or  so too, Dr.s misdiagnosing. I to did not feel like leaving my house, talking to anyone or anything. Just keep hanging in there, I would think in the maryland area that they would also have a low income clinic, the Drs there are not bad, most of them get their loans paid off for working there. Hang in there sweetie, hopefully they will approve you fast..
Kathy
Helpful - 0
Hi, u r lucky to get approval rideaway. Am just wating, and not feeling very well, exhausted, depressed, angry. Don't even feel talking to relatives and friends. Don't know, I ignored everybody,'cause I don't want to talk about it. I just feel free to talk to peaple that can help. Anyway I call to Holly again, the nurse call me back, they seem helpful at first, but then they said that I have to be 40 and up to be a  CV member and get medical treatment and bill payments. Can u believe this? Am becoming hopeless and angry at people.
I have a quesiton for u Kathy,When u give financial info to HHS ( BK -statements)how much is acceptable.You got to have some at least to pay monthly bills and rent, right?. Give me some info. For now, am just waiting, don't know how long it takes. It been over two month now... am scared.
Helpful - 0
HI there,
Good job, sorry it takes so long there in Maryland but it sounds like to me that you are on the right track, if you can hold on a little bit longer hooefully things will turn around for you. How are you feeling ? Keep us posted.... call back Holy Cross Mon am or better yet if you can go there its always better. Praying and thinking of you Silla.
Kathy :)
Helpful - 0
Thanks all for your advice. Your are the only, only one to give advice and support. I went to HHS on Wednsday, the receptions said that they can't see me that day 'cause I was not scheduled that day. But I insist that I should see somebody. After a long wait I was able to talk to a case worker. I explained my situation she said it takes a while to process because they have to send it to Baltimore Office for approval. But she said she is going to do her best, I gave her all the necessary document from doctors' visit and ER, but she want one form to be filled from my doctor and one from  me, I picked the form today from the doctor's office and droped to HHS. She seems nice and understanding but the process... and waiting... She said it depends on Baltimore office fast response, she's waiting for their approval. Then they give medical benefit for treatment, referal etc. Don't know how long am going to wait. I also called Holly cross clinic 'cause I saw discount health... but they didn't return my call. Waiting for something to happen.
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
These ladies have given you some excellent advice.  I know you are working hard to figure something out, so hopefully one of these suggestions will work out for you,  Let us know how it goes at the hospital tomorrow when you go in to talk to them.  Fingers crossed all goes well!

Gail :)
Helpful - 0
SILLA:

I looked up some web sites for John Hopkins & it appears they do have some assistance programs. One is JHM Financial Assistance Program  and another is Special Entitlement Advocacy Programs which has a HSCRC Cancer Screening and Treatment Program in it (I don't know what HSCRC stands for). I found it thru Google & typed in search "John Hopkins Health Systems Financial Assistance" & pulled it up that way. Instead of going thru the websites to apply, I would call John Hopkins & ask for any of there Finiancial Hardship Programs(which these programs are for)  & also ask what the Special Entitlement Advocacy Program is and speak to the person who handles these 2 departments. Tell them your situation & that you were diagnosed with cancer, have no insurance but are need of surgery & if there is any way they can help & how you can qualify. From what I read, you probably have to fill out some extensive paperwork, but it will be well worth it if they can help you. Just call them & pin them down for some answers. You have to perservere, it will be well worth it.
Helpful - 0
Hi,u r right Gail, I have the info, I went to HHS they schedule me for the 25th, am not going to wait till then, am going tomorrow to talk to the person in charge and cry for help. I have all the documents including doctors and hospital bills, (ER, etc) am hoping that a friend of mine go with me,'cause once I cry can't stop crying that's what I been doing so far. I went to Holly cross (ER) Gail, they want me to see a GY and did nothing. Admission didn't happen. Called the clinic too, said that they don't accept new patients, and if there is any scheduling it should be done by a DR/Surgeon, they said. Am not going to give up am going back again though. I called the ACS a couple of weeks ago, took all my info and did nothing. They did not contact me back. What they do is just keep in their database,nothing else. I shouldn't have called them. What else can I do Gail, can't even think right or make plans of what to do next and nobady to help me. I guess it is not what u know, it is who u know. I been turned down. The last thing I do is ask for a loan and start the procedure. Thanks all for your info.
Helpful - 0
Do you think that by calling the American Cancer Society, they might be able to help???
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.