Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Doctor won't call me to give me results of ultrasound and it's been three weeks

I am a menopausal woman in her early 70's and in otherwise good health. I have had ongoing pelvic and back pain for many months and vaginal bleeding (spotting actually) for about 3 months, along with a discharge. My doctor did a uterine biopsy and there was no problem noticed. She then did a transvaginal ultrasound on June 28, 2006 and hasn't called me back for over two weeks, even though she said that she would call me THE NEXT MORNING (i.e.June 29th.)I called her office, but she did not return my call. The TVU showed everyting clear on the right side, but they couldn't see the right ovary. Meanwhile, the pain, spotting and discharge have continued. She had indicated that she would do a hysteroscopy after the ultrasound, but to date I haven't heard from her and am concerned as to what is wrong with me. I am prepared for the results, whether polyps, cysts or even ovarian cancer, but she either cannot or will not call me. My primary care doc said to call again, because naturally he would like to know. What do I do? Any suggestions?

13 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Good for you! Glad you went in and saw your doctor. Yes, that was empowering. Keep us posted and feel free to post anytime.

Linda J
Helpful - 0
Thank you one and all for your help regarding my OB-GYN who hadn't called three weeks after my TVUS, even though she said she would call the next day--June 29th. I took the advice of many of you and walked into her office and asked the receptionist "When can I expect to hear from the doctor?"  To my surprise--it wasn't busy there at all--she saw me herself and offered some excuse about having tried to call me several times but either it just rang or was busy. Since I have voice mail from my phone company as well as call waiting, I am really skeptical about what she said, but I will put it behind me.

I asked "what about laparascopy (since my left ovary wasn't visualized on the US), and she reluctantly agreed. She tried to tell me it was probably "just gas" and I asked her how that would account for the bleeding. Besides, I really do know the difference between cramps and gas. (She did say it might be adhesions).

Anyhow, I get my laparoscopy on July 31st. And thank you, thank you, for your excellent advice. It was empowering. I really shouldn't tie up this blog, unless it is OVCA--which I doubt.

You people are the greatest. I'm still going to read all the postings for a while, to stay in touch.

LadyintheDark

Unless it's OVCA, which I doubt,
Helpful - 0
I think I will find another doctor. The irony is that I left my previous OB-GYN because she didn't want to give me a pap test last year (and for other reasons), since she said Medicare wouldn't pay for a yearly one. Actually they will, if one is high-risk, which I am. I had to insist and offer to pay for it myself, as my three prior ones had been abnormal.

This new OB-GYN was supposed to be better. Sadly, this seems not to be the case.

LadyintheDark (hereafter called "LITD"
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Sometimes we have to keep searching until we find the right dr.  Hopefully your search will be a short one!  Please keep us posted!
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Please note that the sites that ne'chee gave you will cost you.  It is not free information.  I hope that your issues are resolved soon.  Perhaps you should find another dr.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU GET YOUR PRIMARY DR. TO CALL AND MAKE A STATEMENT THAT YOU'VE CALLED AND WAITING ON YOUR RESULTS, AND THAT AS A DR. THEY NEED TO CONTACT YOU WITH ANSWERS..MAYBE IF THIS DR. GETS A CALL FROM ANOTHER DR. HE/SHE WILL THEN ANSWER YOU...
GOD BLESS U!!
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for all your help and I'm going to follow all your suggestions.

It's ironic, because I changed to this OB-GYN because my previous one refused to do a yearly pap smear saying Medicare wouldn't pay for it. Now I know Medicare WILL pay for it yearly for high-risk patients and I am one, due to my history. I know that, because I am a Medicare counselor. This new MD was my bright, shiny hope. Seems like they're just not interested in older women.

The pain is worse lately and I feel betrayed and abandoned by this doctor, but am SO glad to have your support. My husband can't help deal with her, because he has a heart condition and it is very bad for him to get upset, so thank you one and all.
Helpful - 0
Hello-
  I've read your post and it almost sounds like my symptoms. I did get a biopsy and it was the D & C that confirmed that I have Uterine Cancer. When I went to my new oncolgist surgeon he said that the type of cancer I have is aggressive. ( have anyone delt with that? )Anyway, I going to have my surgery on Aug 1. You can get your results at the place you had it done. All you have to do is sign a release for copies. I did! It stated all my results right there in black and white. Good luck!
Helpful - 0
I would write a letter of complaint to your state physician licensing body once you have resolved your health concerns.

Each state has a physician licensing body (example below). All physicians must be licensed to legally practise medicine.

The American Medical Association (AMA) lists physicians on their website. Not all physicians are members. It's voluntary.

From the site: "DoctorFinder provides you with basic professional information on virtually every licensed physician in the United States. This includes more than 690,000 doctors.

AMA member physicians are offered an expanded listing that contains additional information such as office hours, accepted insurance providers, educational history and other helpful information."

State physician regulators: For example Georgia
Composite State Board of Medical Examiners, Georgia
http://www.state.ga.us/meb/bdsearch/index.html

American Medical Association doctor finder:
http://webapps.ama-assn.org/doctorfinder/home.html

Helpful - 0
Thank you for all your help. I mistakenly said the doctor couldn't see mu right ovary. That was the one that was clear. What they couldn't see was my LEFT ovary and that was the one where most of the pain (front and back is).

I will give her once more chance on Monday by calling her, and then ask mu primary doc for another referral. I also have had three out of four abnormal paps.

I will follow all your suggestions and again thanks.
Helpful - 0
132752 tn?1273342273
Sorry...almost forgot to add that the results of your tests belong to YOU.  You have the right to walk into the office at any time and request them in your hand or to sign releases to have them sent to other physicians, in a timely fashion.  There's really no excuse for not hearing your results by now.  
peace,
Anne
Helpful - 0
132752 tn?1273342273
I'm so sorry to hear that you're not getting the cooperation that you deserve.  Of course, it's the weekend now, so I don't expect that you'd be able to touch base with your gyn.  On Monday, I'd try once more...then I'd pretty much demand that my primary doc contact the office.  Unfortunately, there are times when our docs get better results when dealing with stuff like this.  As I understand it, sometimes its difficult to see ovaries in menopausal women.  I'm sure that more of our regular posters will be here to add their thoughts to your thread.  Hang in there, please.  Let us know if there's anything we can do for you.  Keep us posted.
peace,
Anne
Helpful - 0
Try to contact her again & tell the nurse you are having a problem still & ask WHEN the dr will be calling you back. If she STILL does not call you back in timely fashion, I might consider going to another dr. She shouldn't keep you waiting like that when your have symptoms like you are.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.