Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Trying not to project negatively....

New here and seeking support.

Little history: 48 years old, right remaining ovary has 6.5cm septated cyst. Discovered during exam for possible bladder sling for incontinence. Dr. ordered hormone levels test and CA 125. Suggests surgery in the next few weeks.

January I began having full blown hot flashes and all the wonderful symptoms of menopause. I have been taking "New Phase" which seems to tone down the worst of it. I chose not to do low dose hormone replacement meds GP offered because of history of cancer in the family.

My surgery many years ago to remove my uterus and left ovary was due to cystic conditions that caused great pain. I insisted on leaving right ovary as I was not prepared at 31 to do menopause. Have not had any problems again till now.

I have had abdominal discomfort and right sided hip and back pain for awhile now, but attributed it to back problems. My right side pain has really increased now that I have had the sonogram and exams.

I was okay till he ordered the CA 125 and said "we usually don't see these this big." (And asked if I thought I would need sleeping pills!! I didn't till he said that! Maybe I do! LOL)

I wish I had asked more questions now. I watched the sonogram on the screen but really didn't get it. The big dark areas divided in two I saw, but wish I had asked more about the colored blood flow areas. There were some small white areas within it that seemed to be of concern but I don't really know much at all about it.

I agree with what I have read browsing around....the waiting is awful!

Any words of wisdom?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Welcome. These ladies are awesome here. They've calmed my fears tremendously.

I'm a horrible worrier so I hate to wait and imagine the worst. All I can say is what helped me most was to talk with someone. I let out all my fears and worries then I felt better.

I had a large cyst too. Mine was 10.9cm x 11.5cm. It has now shrunk to about half that size in 2 weeks. I'd offer advice on your situation but I'm still new to the world of cysts so I'm not much help.

I'll be thinking good thoughts for you and hope everything turns out fine. And remember you're not alone...you're in the best place for support now.

Take care,
Dianne

Helpful - 0
135691 tn?1271097123
I have learned to not even try to understand what I'm looking at on a sonogram - they don't make any sense to me. I know in Canada, the ultra sound techs won't answer any questions, so that makes it even worse! What is the family history of cancer that you have? Don't put too much stock in the CA125 levels - lot's of benign conditions can cause an elevated result, and they would never diagnose a cancer based on the result. Normal is 35 and under, although some women have suggested recently that it has been raised to 65. Remember that most cysts are benign - your Dr seems very proactive and is doing the right thing by ordering these tests. The waiting is the hardest by far - don't laugh at the sleeping pill thing. If you need them, get some! I had to! Anymore questions, please ask.
Take care, Becky
Helpful - 0
Thanks ladies! Any suggestion on what to tell who? I do not want to worry my friends or family until I have more to tell them. For now...I am struggling to not freak myself out! I would prefer to save my energy for later if need be. The cancer history is breast, prostrate, and adrenal cancers.

I will be pro-active in having the surgery as soon as possible. Until them....not much more I can do. My job now seems to be to avoid over-reacting the best I can. Guess I am in for some practice staying above the emotional and mental line....

You all are so courageous....I am going to lean on you for now if you don't mind me hanging around.

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Livon
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Welcome to the site!  Don't worry, we will not let you down! Your menopausal symptoms could be do the cyst on your ovary.  Anytime there is an ovarian disturbance, hormone levels get all out of whack!  I am glad that you are getting the medical attention that you need.  Keep us posted.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.