Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Survivors of wound infection - please let me know what you did

Does anyone have any experience with a wound infection?  I'm 7 days post-op, had a laparotomy (horizontal incision) and I'm not recovering well in general, but holding my own.

There is a red area above the incision, about 3 cm long and it is warm to the touch.  It doesn't look too bad, but horrific thoughts of drains, and packing and all the awful things you hear about come to mind.  

This is all very stressful.

I will likely be seen tomorrow, but am hoping there are some positive stories of people surviving wound infections.  

Trying to think positively.  Thank you in advance if anyone has any inspiration, I'm about through with this poking and prodding business, I want to heal! :)

Maybe someone can start a wound infection thread that others can benefit from?  I know I would.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Just in case anyone wants to know what to do for a wound infection, KEFLEX is taking it away fast, and I'm so glad.  I guess this is the standard antibiotic, and the earlier you jump on it, the better the outcome.
Helpful - 0
Anna, Scout and Gatsby, thanks for the info.  I have just the beginning of what looks like an infection, I hope I can be seen today or they will allow me to just go on antibiotics.  Anna, I had a laparotomy, did you?  I also feel like I have a bruised, lumpy, jello like mess down there, and I am a generally fit person, I don't know whose stomach is there now.  Luckily though, I'm not too vain, so I guess I just want to heal and get on with life.  This infection is another little curve in the road.  Feel better soon!!!
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Just give your dr. a call and have it looked at.  That way you will know what is going on.  It is the unknown that frightens us the most.  Hang in there, this will be behind you before long.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0

Yes I too have had redness/heat around the wound but the surgeon said this was okay.

Usually for infection involving drains and packing etc you would be running a high temperature (constantly), have lost weight due to lack of appetite, be dehydrated, contstipated and you would feel a good sized lump around the wound (this is what I had about 10 days after my first laparotomy 16 years ago). It sounds like this doesn't apply to you.

For peace of mind, I would get the practice nurse or doctor to have a look at it and check it is okay.
Helpful - 0
I have survived a wound infection.I had a cyst removed and my doctor told me to keep the incision uncovered and to clean it with peroxide. So for a week I would get 2 showers a day and clean it with peroxide. It seemed to be better and about 9 days after surgery I told my boyfriend that it seemed really warm around the area. He took one look and said that it was red and that I needed to call the doctor. My doctor prescribed antibiotics but it was too late. The next day I got up to get dressed and started having all this drainage, and I am pregnant so at first I thought I was loosing the baby because I can't see the incision it's under my belly. Then my b/f looked and we called the dr and he admitted me into the hospital. They opened it a little and packed it. Now everyday my b/f changes the dressing and packing 2 times a day and it is almost healed. I was so scared at the time but let me tell you before it had started draining it got really painful and I was still having a hard time walking 9 days after the surgery. The minute it started to drain it was instant relief. So although it is scary you really should go see your dr. maybe if it's early enough then u can just take the antibiotics and that will take it away. While I was in the hospital they gave me iv antibiotics and that cleared up the infection in 3 days. The only thing I cannot wait for now is for it to close up all the way so I can go swimming
Helpful - 0
Hi C, wow did you go through it and good to hear it is almost healed. I am 7 days post op and it seems I'm doomed to be borderline with everything in my life because it isn't an obvious infection, but is red about 3 cm up from wound on one side.  We marked the edges with pen and overnight there is no change, so I think "Is it an infection or not?"  Hubby says it isn't convincing, but is thinking of prescribing Keflex to make sure, but of course antibiotics are serious business too, so nobody wants to just throw those at something that isn't a wound infection.  
Honestly, I am used to this by now, nothing is ever clear cut with me!  Frustrating.
But I suppose if it were a rabid infection, it would be getting worse.
To treat or not to treat, that is the question.
Can't wait til you can go swimming either.  Thanks for sharing your story, I'm glad that you are better.
Did you have MRSA, do you know?  Do you remember what antibiotic they put you on?
How far post op are you?  Was it laparoscopy?  Laparotomy?
Thanks again.
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
Babbbbbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee good grief you are only 7 days post op. Obviously I cant see it so it must be looked at but its going to be all sorts of things. I am 2 weeks and my wound is healing lovely BUT and its a big BUT I have strange lumps, belly is hard and swollen just under belly button looks like a lumpy mass thing (great description Anna lol) I have a bruise by the side of it. My stitches are so sore its making me snappy it all just looks nasty. I have a flat tummy till it gets to the wound then its a lumpy half dead half sore bruised sticking out mass of yukkyness. I keep thinking what if its a hernia IT ISNT but we are not allowed to stop worrying are we lol

Sending you a cyber hug <:D>

Anna x
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.