Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
146110 tn?1247150090

Surgery moved up - now I'm starting to worry

Hi all!  Had my ultrasound with dopler flow study done last week.  When I spoke to doctor yesterday she said we would do surgery next Tues.  The cyst grew from 6cm to 8.5 cm in < 2 weeks.  She said looks like she will need to remove ovary because cyst is very involved.  And will probably do a hysterectomy at the time.  Said it appears it may be a dermoid.  (That is what they said last time & it was not.  It was benign serous cystadenofibroma, benign surface papillary cystadenofibroma and benign mucous cyst.)  Should I be concerned that this seems like a rush?  Was planning on the surgery anyway, but now am a little nervous.  Also, got my operative report from my surgery in 1999 (when they removed my left ovary & tube).  In the report it said that right ovary appeared very suspicious with multiple excrescences on its outside, some hard & some soft.  They biopsied "several of these" and the tests came back ok.  My question is - could this problem I am having now be related to the cysts/growths from that long ago?  Also, at the time of my surgery in 99, I had a mucinous lesion that ruptured.  Would this cause problems with this surgery?  Sorry to ask so many questions it is just that moving up surgery has thrown me for a loop.  I have 4 kids and a job so getting it all together is freaking me out!  Also, I have not had to do bowel prep before.  She wants one this time because she said scar tissue will make it more difficult.  How long does this take and will I be out of comission the day before surgery?  Thank you all so much for your info.  It means alot!!!    :) Laura
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Why would they be doing a full hyster if she thinks the cyst is dermoid and is just going to remove the ovary? Do you have another reason for the hyster? Or are they just taking precautions and doing the whole cover-their-butts 'if we find something suspicious we may have to do a hyster' thing?
(I got that too, and at 28, it really freaked me out)
Hang in there, we'll be thinking of you! And just think how much better you'll feel without the little alien on your ovary :)
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
146110 tn?1247150090
She said to do a hyst if they can not save the ovary (since I only have the one - why keep the uterus?)  I am not sure if there would be a reason to keep the uterus if you do not have any ovaries.  Anyone have an opinion?
Helpful - 0
teh Dr, told my mom who has had alot of problems that they like to keep the uterous becuase it funtions for other things too liek keeping your bladder in the proper place....if it were me and the problems you have had I would want it all gone instead of more problems in the future and possible another surgery... all the best. I knwo it is stressful, try to remain positive, I keep saying to myself that the worrying is only making me sicker adn until I get a diagnoses with the biopsy I am worryign for nothing...
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.