Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Long term recovery

Hi everyone...hope all of you are doing well.  I would love to get some input from all of you who have gone before me.  It has been about 3 months since my hysterectomy, and overall I am feeling pretty good.  My incision still feels "funny" (like a pins and needles feeling" when I touch it.  Does that have anything to do with the nerves being damaged??  Also, it seems like I still get swelly belly when I have done too much.  Is this normal??   Also, have any of you felt like you lose energy faster than you used to?  Although I know it is hard to gauge because so many of us felt bad before our surgeries, when did you start feeling like your "old self" again...3 months, six months, a year??  
Just trying to figure out if what I am feeling is normal and if maybe I am just being impatient.

4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks for your responses.  The pins and needles thing make me a bit squeamish, but I am glad to hear that it is a good sign of healing.  I guess I need to be more patient (not a strong point with me) and allow my body to do its job.  I am just anxious to close this chapter of my life.  It has been emotionally and physically exhausting...I am sure many can relate to that :)....that being said, I am thankful that I made it through with minimal stress, and I keep all of you who are truly struggling with much larger, life-changing issues, in my prayers!
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
Although the ballpark advice is 6 weeks before normal activity may be resumed I have heard that it can take 6 months before you fully recover, I have even heard of it taking a year. I am only at the 3 week mark and its pi***** me off lol! Stitches are sore and lumpy and numb have horrible swelly belly. Grim truely grim HA HA!

Anna x
Helpful - 0
Pins and needles feeling is actually a sign of healing. The nerves are reconnecting. This is fact from my surgeon's mouth to your ears :)

L.
Helpful - 0
I do know I had the pins and needles feeling after the last surgery (c-section) and I eventually regained all feeling.  I am sure that is the healing process for you too.
I'll let others answer about post hysterectomy recovery.  I would venture a guess that it would take much longer than three months, I didn't feel myself for a year after my c-section, although the initial recovery was about 6-8 weeks, but all those aches and pains and numb spots, it really took a long time.  Recovered just in time to be cut open again!  :)
Take good care!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.