Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
I spoke with my moms chemo doctor today.

My mom is stage 3C CA-125 went from 525 before surgery to 256 after surgery to 26 after just 3 treatments.  The last 3 treatments were reduced dosage because it was too strong for her body to handle.  We thought she was finished but they added on treatments to the tail end to make up for the lower dosage.

I asked the doctor about her chances of living long term.  She said of course its difficult to answer since each women is different.  She said her chances are 50%.

Now 50% is higher than the stats I see for this stage....so is she saying 50% because my mom is responding well so far and this nudges her chances up a bit?  Or is 50% the stats for all women regardless of stage?

I know I shouldnt get hung up on statistics but Im just wondering in what context the doctor meant with regard to the 50%.

Anyone?

I hope youre all doing well.  I was hanging in there but the anxiety is starting to kick in again.

Thank you for listening.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

That sounds like a positive answer.  Doctors are usually frank and honest.

All the very best to you and especially your mom.
Helpful - 0
Thank you.

The doctors are certainly encouraged based on how my mom is responding so far.

The problem is that no one knows what will happen and this is what scares me.  I feel so badly for my mom and I just wish this nightmare would go away so she can live a long life in peace.
Helpful - 0

Thinking long term is difficult.  For now your mom has responded well to treatment.  Take this news and cherish the moments with her.  I know it is hard but living one day at a time is in fact a refreshing view of life.  And really who can say what the future will bring.

One thing is for sure, you love your mom very much.  That will never change.

Best wishes.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.