Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Cancel Surgery?

Hi,all
       I've come here to whine about a problem I have besides the fluid,pain and cysts. I haven't been able to work for almost 2 years now and have been recieving long term and short term disability through my old job. Well,I got behind in some of my bills and my insuraunce ran out. I only had 3,000 in bank but hAD TO SPEND 2,500.00 to keep my car. I have a live in boyfriend which has been paying most of the bills these last 2 months but other than that is totally unsupportive. I would fill you in on that but it would take all day. Anyway, I'm now broke....my ex-husband has decieded that he doesn't need to pay child support for my son this month so I'm S.O.L. My boyfriend is mad because I spent the money on my car which I need and I get the overall feeling that he wants me to have to depend on him so that he can get away with the **** he's pulling. So now he's sleeping on the couch and just leaving the house without telling me he's gone,turns off his cell phone,ect. I'm getting fed up so I'm seriously contemplating canceling my surgery,closing up my house,moving in with my parents and going back to work even though I'm in so much pain,until I can afford to take off for surgery. Any ideas or support would be greatly appreciated.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
As the mother of two grown girls, I can tell you that I would insist that they move in with us if they were facing your problems.  Not only will your parents be able to help you financially, but, more importantly, they should be able to help you emotionally.  How can you get better when you are living with someone who is so emotionally distanced from your needs?  You need cheerleaders who love you unconditionally - your parents.  Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Thanks so much for the support guys. I just applied for the SSI disability which they say you have to be expected to be unable to work for at least a year.It takes up to 6 months for a determination which I really don't have. I really hoped that I'd be better by now but I guess God has his own plan about that. Hopefully I'll get better after this surgery and will be able to get my life back in order. It's so frustrating......I would have never thought I'd be in this situation. Just 2 years ago I was back in college for Pharmacy and working on a decent paying job. I hate depending on others and I'm am becoming to realize that everyone is not dependable.My boyfriend has become unbearable and I have enough on my plate already so I guess I'll be moving to my parents this week. My surgery is the 31st so I'd better get cracking so that my affairs will be in some semblence of order beforehand.Thanks again for the advice and support.

Lisa
Helpful - 0
If you've been receiving disability through your work maybe you can now apply for social security disability? Or at least apply for medicade or Medicare whichever it is; if you have been on disability for 2 years & no longer have health insurance you should be eligible. You need to do what you have to do to get better for your child and if that means moving back in with mom & dad to do that
Helpful - 0
Hi there,
So sorry to hear of this very rough time you're having. I don't think you should cancel your surgery because you are in pain. But I do think that you should take back control of your situation. First of all, I would get away from your unsupportive boyfriend. True, he's been paying the bills, however he also lives there too, so they are his bills too. And the fact that he's not there for you emotionally makes it time to say "enough is enough." Can you go ahead and move in with your parents? That way you would avoid some financial strain. Also, can you go to your local Bureau of Child Support Enforcement and get them to deal with the idea your ex has about not paying child support? I thought something like that was court ordered, so he can't decide on his own not to pay it. If you don't have insurance, perhaps you might qualify for assistance in another way. Maybe you should go to your local Health and Human Services office and apply for aid? These are just ideas,but please put your health FIRST and rid yourself of anyone not supporting you and the decisions you need to make for your own good.
Best Wishes
Mandi
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.