Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

OVCA recurrence after 4 years!

I am new to this, so I hope I can explain things clearly.  I was diagnosed with stage 1C OVCA in June 2002.  I had total hysterectomy, followed successfully by 6 rounds, taxol/carboplatin. Since then all CT scans were normal, CA 125 in single digits varying from 4.3 to 9 until recently when CA125 went to 27.  It was "trending up", so my surgoen (gyn/onc), who is on topof things and I absolutely adore, ordered a CT Scan which showed 3 implants - spleen, omentum and one near colon area. Needle biopsy showed smallest was 1 cm., then 2.5, then 3 cm.  Had total debulking and removal of all three implants without any problems on May 30, and was told I was in clinical remission. Surgeons said it was a completely "clean" surgery; all pathology was negative. Becasue I was so far out into remission when recurrence happened,they sent tumors out and found them to be sensitive to same chemo drugs as before, so I  am about to take my 3rd of 6 rounds of taxol/carbo.  CA 125 was 15 after first treatment from 174 after surgery. My oncologist suggested a one year maintenance "investment" of taxol. Has anyone had a lengthy remission like that, then recurred and was successfully treated back into remission?  Also,is there any merit to the maintenance regime?  My team of doctors say they can put this in a "cureative" state.  Is this realistic?  I feel blessed to have such a good second chance, and am keeping a positive attitude.  Can anyone give me insight into this? Thank you, and God Bless!

13 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you for the information.  I plan to discuss this with my onc.  Presently taking 6 rds. taxol/carbo. as recurrence was localized, no other findings; and doctor may consider years' maintenance program for me after this cycle.
Helpful - 0
Gemzar: FDA approves drug for ovarian cancer treatment

Eli Lilly and Company has announced that the United States Food and Drug Administration, FDA, has approved gemcitabine HCl, known as Gemzar, in chemotherapy cancer treatments for women facing recurrent ovarian cancer. Gemzar is only approved for the treatment of ovarian cancer when used in combination with carboplatin, another chemotherapy drug currently used to treat women with advanced and recurrent ovarian cancer.

Gemzar is already approved as a cancer drug in the treatment for non-small cell lung cancer, pancreatic cancer and metastatic breast cancer. Clinical studies reviewed by the FDA showed that patients treated with a combination of Gemzar and carboplatin experienced a significant improvement in survival and response rates compared to carboplatin alone.

Clinical Oncologists for Individualized Treatment of cancer patients have found out years ago that the combination of gemcitabine + platinum (either cisplatin, carboplatin or oxaliplatin) was the most important drug combination introduced for the treatment of solid tumors in the past 18 years. Clinical responses with this regimen were unprecedented.

Individualized testing of the gemcitabine + platinum combination began in the mid-1990s by Dr. Robert Nagourney, Director of Rational Therapeutics, Inc. Many patients received treatment with this regimen because of individualized testing long before any clinical trials in their particular disease types had ever been published.

The contribution of Dr. Nagourney in terms of recognizing the synergistic effects of this combination had been very important in getting clinical trials with this regimen started in a broad spectrum of cancers. Think of all the many cancer patients that were helped by this, long before these clinical trials ever started?

Ovarian Cancer Drug Combination Identified at Rational Therapeutics Receives FDA Approval

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060728/20060728005151.html?.v=1

Helpful - 0
what was your original stage at diagnosis?
Helpful - 0
Hi, I'm sorry too that this had to come back after such a long time. A friend that I met while I was going through treatment also had a recurrence after about 4 years. That was in Oct.' 04. She is doing wonderful. No reason to think you shouln't have the same outcome. You said your ca125 went to 27, did it go higher before your 2nd surgery? I'm asking because mine went from 11.? to 16.? and now it's 20. I had an abdominal and pelvic CAT scan, chest xray, mammo and breast MRI, pap and thank God all was normal. I panicked so much between those last two visits that I made myself physically sick. Needless to say I'm on Zoloft now. Don't think it's doing a darn thing for me.I hate that blood test with a passion so my oncologist after he examined me gave me is having me take it in 3 months instead of 2. He wants me to try to calm down a little.
Helpful - 0
My CA 125 went from 27 to 32 before surgery; then 174 after surgery (which is normal for it to be elevated at that time), but then down to 15 after first treatment.  I know exactly how oyu feel about being anxious.  I am making myself so physically sick, I am losing weight right and left.  I tell my husband every night that if I can get through this I will never complain about a "bad hair day" or being overweight again!  I'm glad all your scans came back good.  How often do you ahve them?  I guess I will have my first one after my next treatment.
Helpful - 0
thanks for getting back to me. I had a scan in March 04 about a month after I finished chemo. Now I just had one in April. I think he sent me because I was flipping out in the office. but I'm glad I did have all those tests done. I'm still concerned that it went to 20 but my gyno and my oncologist seem OK with it. I don't know what to do.
Helpful - 0
I was in in remission for 3 1/2 years when my cancer returned.  I also had stage 1C.  I was only treated with carboplatin (6 treatments) and it returned 6 months later.  So I understand what is going on with you.  I am being treated with Doxil this time and I have had three treatment so far.  Will know results of scan Friday and I also have a treatment on Friday as well. I am hoping also that after this treatment I will be in permanent remission.  Be strong and perpare to fight this horrible thing that is happening to us and keep believing.
Helpful - 0
It was 3C. I had my surgery on October 5, 2004
Helpful - 0
Good luck with your treatment and your scan; you are in my prayers
Helpful - 0
Thank you for keeping me in your prayers; it's a powerful tool!  You, and all the other ladies who fight this together are in mine as well.  United we stand!
Helpful - 0
Happy Anniversary!  May you be blessed with unlimited years ahead!
Helpful - 0
Hi Careylyn.

A 5 week remission?  How low did your CA-125 get?

We're all hoping and praying the next remission is permanent.
Helpful - 0
My heart goes out to you....4 years and then this.  Hmmm, does make one wonder if it cannot be done again.  I only had a 5 wk remission, so I cannot begin to answer your questions.  Someone will be along soon, and perhaps they have had this experience.  Meanwhile, I have you in my prayers.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.