Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pelvic Mass Detected

KF3
Had much blood in urine and pain in kidney so went for ultrasound to check for kidney stones. No kidney stones found and no urinary tract infection but the technician was thorough and found enlarged (size doubled)ovary filled with blood. Dr. said could be cancer so followup was scheduled for 6 weeks later. That ultrasound showed ovary still large and revealed mass in pelvis below ovary which is twice the size of the enlarged ovary (irregularly shaped). I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago and since still go through monthly cycles full with cramps and bloating. I figured it was due to endometriosis that was left behind. My mother had ovarian cancer at age 36 but it was caught early due to tubal pregnancy rupture. I am 43 years old now (never conceived) and am so worried I can't sleep. It is still another couple of days before "official" results come in but I have to know if it is at all possible it could be something other than cancer, like endo mass. The technician would not tell me anything but was visibly upset. I don't have a good feeling about this but want to know if there is hope. I don't want to tell anyone until I know for sure but am having a hard time dealing with it alone. Too much fear and anxiety. Sorry for this being so long but i need to talk to someone. Thanks.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
108861 tn?1227246048
Hi KF and welcome.  The only conclusive way to judge a malignancy is ia surgical biopsy.  That is why we all run the same chances during the watch and wait.  Our Drs. have to assume cancer and proceed as such with all of us preop.  That is also how we should proceed and consult an GYN/ONC.  They have seen it all whether it be OvCa or not.  With your genetic history, you are in a higher risk category and you should ask your Dr. to refer you to one.  The W&W is scary but you are not alone Cyster, we will wait with you!  MV

48 yrs, LSO 2 B9 Cysts 18NOV06
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
I dont like the sound of the doc if all he said was could be cancer. Cancer is usually right on the edge of the radar!

Anna x
Helpful - 0
KF3
Hi Anna-Maria. i'm not sure what you mean by "you don't like the sound of the doc". Do you mean he may be jumping the gun or he may be onto something? The thing is this started at a walk-in clinic (blood in urine) with a very young/new dr. But the tech who did the ultrasound has been looking after me for years, is very experienced and is the one who suspects the cancer. As soon as I get my second results I am going to my regular dr. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Helpful - 0
I thought that too when my dr got my u/s report & pretty much was stating flat out of the possibility of cancer. I thought because he thought it he must really be onto something. When my u/s report came in to my drs office, they would not tell me nothing over the phone & wanted me to go down to his office THAT DAY. My primary care dr also got the report, called me at work telling me to a CA125 ASAP.  In then end it did turn out to be just a hemmoragic cyst. I'm glad that he was cautious but it REALLY scared me.  I recently got a 3rd u/s due to mentrual cramping I was having(had hysterectomy years ago), that u/s came up clear as well. Nurse told me that cramping can be from free fluid from bursted cysts. But when I was talking to the tech, she made me feel more at ease as I was still worried on how my original u/s appeared as a solid mass & then disappeared, because she was saying all the u/s is showing is the image & it is not a biopsy & that the ovaries keep changing SO much that this stuff can happen
Helpful - 0
I know Anna well and she just doesn't like the fact the doctor threw cancer out there without anything else since cancer is usually the most remote possibility (1% in most cases)

L.
Helpful - 0
KF3
Thanks so much for replying to my post. It is exactly what I wanted to hear! I know it won't change the facts, but it will help me get through the next couple of days or weeks! :)
Helpful - 0
I had an ultrasound similar to yours. My ovary was enlarged & appeared irregulary shaped(non-homongenous) & appeared as a solid mass. I also had a hysterectomy approx 2-3 yrs (kept ovaries) ago & I lately did have menstrual cramping. My dr told me possibiity of cancer as well & was going to send me to a gynecologist oncologist. BUT, I had a cat scan, mass did not show only enlarged ovary. Had a 2nd ultrasound 1 month later & it was gone! It turns out it was a hemmoragic cyst & what I hear, can appear like yours & mine on an ultrasound. So there is hope, so don't worry too much, but do follow up throughly with your doctor.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.