Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Question about a lumbar MRI

I have been having dull persistent pain in my lower back and abdomen for a month. The pain also goes from my hip to my knee sometimes. I have also had a loss of appetite and sometimes feel nautious and tired. I am getting a lumbar MRI to see if it is a nerve issue. Does anyone know if a lumbar MRI will show if there are any ovarian cysts or anything like that. There is history of breast / colon cancer in my family.

Thanks!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Orchid 81, I am experiencing back, abdomen, and hip to knee pains, probably similar to what you are.  My doctors have already ordered a pelvic ultrasound (external), an MRI, a CA-125, and a CT with contrast.  The MRI was strictly to rule out nerve or disk problems and showed no evidence of either; however, the other tests have all come up negative for any masses and the CA-125 was 4.  Most of the pains I am experiencing started to manifest themselves two months ago, but I the leg pains began well over a year.  Last September, my doctor ordered x-rays to look for arthritis but found just the smallest amount.

I have an appointment in 27 hours with a gyn. oncologist because I am determined to find out what's going on.  Good luck to you - I hope you will pursue this further if the MRI does not show anything.  Isn't it crazy that finding out you have a bulging disc or degeneration would be good news?
Helpful - 0
No, it will not show any ovarian cysts.  I have bulging discs and facet joint degeneration in my L-4. L-5 and S-1 joints.  It is VERY common to have radiating pain to the hip and down to the knee.  I wouldn't stress too much until after the MRI.  I also have a history (personal) of BC and pre-cancerous colon polyps.  

Hope everything turns out well!  :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.