Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pregnant With A Dermoid Cyst...

Hey everybody, I am 7 weeks pregnant and I just went for my 1st ultrasound and found out I have a dermoid cyst on my lft. ovary. I am totally freaking out...The doctor is talking about watching it and probably have to do surgery once I get into my 2nd trimester. How is that gonna effect me and my unborn baby and how do ya'll think my job as a CNA at the hospital on the med/surg floor effect me and having this cyst. Do you think lifting people all night could rupture my cyst. I'm so scared of this and I dont know what to do to be careful or what I should be doing and not doing until I have this cyst removed. Can Ya'll help me with your opinions... I'm sure I'll come up with more questions as time goes by... Thank You for your help.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi I'm 21 years old and was recently in a car accident.  After the CT scans for simply safety reasons, the doctors discovered I have a dermoid cyst in my ovary.  They told me it's not something that is totally serious but I would need to do surgery to take it out sooner or later.  So what if I don't take it out? Does this affect my chances of getting pregnant? Also, I've always had very irregular period (every 2 months or so, sometimes 3). Could my irregular period be caused by this? And I realllyyyy don't want the scar from surgery. Is there another way out of this?!?!?
Helpful - 0
Hi there,

Don't worry about the possibility of having surgery. I just had a laparotomy last week and my doctor was telling me before surgery that she has even operated on pregnant women to do the same thing she was doing for me...removing a cyst. So it happens, its not all that uncommon, and you will be fine! As for rupturing the cyst, it's my understanding that if it is going to rupture it will. But it's probably not likely. There isn't anything you can do to prevent it. I've had a lot of cysts rupture out of nowhere.

God bless!
Jessica
Helpful - 0
Hi! Congrats on your pregnancy.
I am currently 24 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child and had a laparotomy at 16 weeks to remove a 20 cm cyst from my left ovary. Everything turned out just fine and I was feeling pretty good by 2 weeks post op. My scar is ugly and gross but the main thing is that my baby boy is growing and very healthy and the surgery didn't affect my pregnancy at all.
I am back at work now as well. The major risk of having abdominal surgery is the chance of going into preterm labor, but other then that, there aren't many risks. As my ob told me-there is always a slight chance of miscarriage but the risk is very small. Better to get the cyst removed especially if it will effect the growth of the baby at some point.
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to email me off the boards- jessica.***@****
Good luck!
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
ought you be lifting heavy people anyway whilst pregnant hun? I know its not an illness but be carefull. Lifting 'specifically' doesn't rupture the cysts to my knowledge, it may just rupture anyway! Many woman have surgery to remove ovarian cysts while pregnant and I personally have never heard of a bad outcome. What ever questions you have ask away thats what we are here for!

Anna x
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.