Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
149816 tn?1212683341

Just got back from gyn/onc appt - info needed

I've just got back from my gyn/onc appointment. After being in a great frame of mind when I arrived, the 2 hour run over in appointment times did nothing to calm my nerves and I felt 'highly-strung' when I eventually got in there!
They had had another look at my CT results, but have settled for cancerous-looking changes to my right ovary, omentum and the lower part of the cyst appears to have solid areas, everyone said it was benign up to now, so that was a shock. CA 125 is up 1 to 90. More worrying is that my bowel cancer markers have come back raised, (norm <3, mine 38), so now they think the primary may be in my bowel - although my bowels are pretty normal (regular as clockwork!) except for mild IBS symptoms that I've had for years, and apparently sometimes the bowel marker can come back raised but no cancer - anyone any info on this? So, I've now got a colonoscopy booked for Monday morning - clear fluids and picolax this weekend - delightful! I'm booked for surgery at Christies Hospital, no theatre spaces at St Mary's, for Monday 14th. If there is bowel involvement then things may change as I'll be under the 'bowel men' then as well as the gynae and may need chemo before surgey - does anyone know about bowel treatments?
I asked the McMillan nurse whether things looked worse from last Friday's visit and she has said even if there is bowel involvement things are really at the same level and no worse regards outcomes and it could possibly be borderline but with other organ involvement - any info would be helpful regarding this also.
Thanks, Lisa.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

With regards to the hair, if chemo is needed, then that is understandably, really upsetting (everyone who has gone through this on the site has said so).  But they do also say when it grows back it is a real surprise at how lovely it is.

The night before the op I was talking to a lady who had new breast implants put in following a double mastectomy for breast cancer (they looked really good).  She also said her hair had a while yet to grow back fully but I tell you I would never had known that she had been through chemo - her hair was beautiful, had a real shine and gloss to it (a gorgeous shade of blonde!).  She let me see it up close and yes only then could you see some of the new hair coming through.

I hope this helps.
Helpful - 0

Hi Lisa

Sounds like you are in for a jolly weekend!  But seriously, I think they are being very thorough and it seems like you are being given excellent care.  I was offered my surgery in Christies but it didn't fit in with my children's very busy social life at school!?! - the surgery I had at Wythenshawe was only a week later.

Monday will come soon enough, bring some chewing gum, enjoy the company of your Dad, and enjoy even more that late night ciggie when all is finished.

Ursula
xx
Helpful - 0
149816 tn?1212683341
Hi Dimples, I'll let you know how I get on with the picolax! I'm a nurse, but not in any area similar to my 'ailments' unfortunely, I've no illusions that on Sunday evening I will be moving with the speed and grace of an olympic runner! My OH has offered to bring a commode home from work on the bus, which I politely declined and thanked him for his thoughtfulness with a clip round the ear!!!
The colonoscopy sounds as delightful - the bit they are worried about is upper right side (near the ovary and where I get stabbing pains), why couldn't it be somewhere more 'convienient' and accessible, like a toe or something!

To make things worse I smoke, my dads taking me, I'm 42 and he doesn't know I smoke! I'm going to have to endure it all without nicotine!

Lisa.

Helpful - 0
149816 tn?1212683341
Thanks Ursula,
I feel like it's another organ added every time I go to appointments at the minute! The only saving graces are that I really feel well, and I'm getting to like my 'new' hair (I've just been looking at Christies hair advice, my hair is long and it's upset me, but my dad is going to buy me a wig - Darren wants long and blonde, but just for around the house, earned him another clip around the ear!)

The staff have been wonderful at North Manchester and St Mary's and I have a lot of confidence in them and although things seem slow when you're waiting they've moved pretty quick in reality. I just want to get on with it all though and 'do' something. I don't even know whether to start looking at bowel cancer, I don't want to tempt fate but want to know what they're talking about - it's weird that a month ago my biggest decision would be do the ironing or put some more listings on Ebay!

Thanks for being there to listen,

Lisa.
Helpful - 0
Don't really have any answers for you but I too have to have a colonoscopy before my surgery on the 15th.  Mine is this next Wednesday.  I have never had a colonoscopy but since I am almost 41 and have a family history of colon cancer my doc said he wanted to do it before my surgery, just in case.  I too am trying to be postitive about everything.  
Good luck and stay home while taking that suff on Sunday, I heard its bad.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.