Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pregnancy, Dermoid Cyst and 2 Different Doctors' Opinions

I am 38 years old and currently 9 weeks pregnancy with my first child.  I was told I have a dermoid cyst about 5cm on my right ovary when I went for scanning.  I also have a fibroid about 5.9cm. I was told by my doctor (a private practitioner) I must remove the dermoid cyst when I enter my 2nd trimester.  I then went to another doctor (a government based doctor) and he told me not to bother about the dermoid cyst and just let it me.  When I ask him about the probability of torsion, he replied the possibility not it not happening.  With 2 different opinions I am at a loss.  I am thinking of a 3rd opinion.  Please advise.  And will the surgery affect the baby in any way at all?  I was told I will be hospitalised for 3 days.  I am worried about drugs, etc.  Please advise.  Especially if you have been thru this.  Thank you.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I would visit a gyn oncologist and let him be the deciding factor. I had a huge cyst remove via laparotomy when I was 16 weeks pregnant- I am now 25 weeks pregnant and everything is fine. It is perfectly safe 99% of the time to have the surgery while pregnant.
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
Surgery to remove cysts in pregnant woman during the 2nd trimester is commonplace. I think the issue here is a comlex one because at just over 5 cms we are weighing up risk of malignancy versus risk to baby with surgery. Had you not been pregnant perhaps both doctors might have agreed to remove. Why not post your question in the cancer answers forum but I would certainly ask which is the greater risk then at least you have something to base your choice on

Anna x
Helpful - 0
thanks for your response anna.  Sorry ... i didn't type clearly about the doctor's response .... when i asked him about the possibility of torsion, he replied; "what if there is no torsion at all" ... but the 1st doctor insist i have it removed .... the 2nd one says, the 1st doctor is just trying to make a quick buck-afterall he is in private practice. !!!! i re-check the cyst measurement to be exact - its 5.69cm x 5.93cm.... so i guess I should think of surgery then?  how safe is it for the baby? my third opinion (doctor) is scheduled next friday.  appreciate any response esp. those who have gone thru what I am going thru now.  thanks
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
5 cms is right on the boarder of remove/dont remove. Dermoid cysts however do not resolve on there own so I would be inclinned to go with the first opinion to be honest. Cysts are commonly removed sucessfully in the 2nd trimester as many woman on this forum will tell you. I didint quite understand what the doctors response was to you asking about torsion. If he said no it will not he should be struck off lol

I think another opinion is the way to go (best out of 3 maybe)

Anna x
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.