Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Is it an infection?

I find the advice given here is so helpful when something is on my mind and i cant get to speak to a doctor about it, which right now I cant it seems I am being passed pillar to post. The advice I have been given here when my mind is uneasy about things really helps. I hope it is OK that I have posted so many questions.

Right now I am concerned as I still am in alot of pain. Especially the belly button incision, 6 weeks post op, it hurts more now than it did at first. I feel like I have been punched in the stomach. The 2 small incisions lower down are fine but my belly button feels all hard and hot and very bruised feeling. It is weird as it doesnt look like anything from the outside, but i am worried it could be infected inside, is this a possibility?

7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am glad to read that the biosopy was benign.  That is good news for you.  However you have had major surgery and it is up to your doctors to now give you primary care - the hospital has discharged you to the care of your doctor.

You must realise that this could have a potentially serious outcome if it is not seen soon.  Press to see your doctor - say it is an emergency and ask to have the scar evaluated.

You are not wasting their time - just being proactive with your health.

Good luck.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Because you said it was red and hot to the touch, I am really thinking that you have an infection.  Please call your dr. today and get this looked at today.  Infection can spread really fast.  Keep us posted.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
It isnt leaking fluid, that is the thing, it is only a little red looking on the outside, and fels hot hot to the touch. But it doesnt look like anything at all. I just feel this hard lump there and the pain like a heavy bruise.

I have made an appointment with the drs about it, hopefully he will  do something, although I am really having trouble being seen.

My post op appointment is December 19th, because it was benign, the Onc passed me to a new dr. I am in limbo now i suppose, I even had to take my own stitches out. I feel this is so weird treatment not seeing anyone after an op like that and my GP, he has had no reports from the hospital still 6 weeks later and so is loathe to do anything and he isnt an expert in that field nor knows what was found in he op. So the pain I am in I have noone to speak to of it , the surgeon cant be reached, only his secretary who says he has forwarded me to the new dr who has made an apptmt for Decenber, 6 months away. It seems crazy to me after all the damage and complications they spoke of when i was in hospital, that now i just have to put up with the pain for that long.

Anyway thanks for your advice, i will try and press my GP a little harder.
Helpful - 0
I agree.  I had surg 7/12 and had similiar situation and found out I had what was called a seroma (accumulation of fluid) and had to be opened up to drain and still doing that.  However, the pain is better and the infection cleared with antibiotics.  Please get with your doctor ASAP
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Please call your dr. and explain the situation.  Do not wait, as an infection can spread rather fast.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
I would call your dr- sounds like it could be infected.
Helpful - 0
is it leaking any fluid? my one was very hard and very sore and started leaking. I found out mine was infected. is it red at all?
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.