Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Mullerian Inhibiting Substance(MIS) and Ovarex MAb users, anyone?

Anybody using Mullerian Inhibiting Substance(MIS) or Ovarex MAB for recurrent ovarian cancer or first time treatment or maintenance? My wife is Stage 3C Ov CA with recurrence and just want to be prepared for options. It is also good to be updated on highly possible cure for Ov CA.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks for answering this question. It's great that you were in the study. We really need some concrete research on OvCA cure. As of now there is none. Just trying to prevent recurrence. Thanks for posting. I hope to get an update from you soon. If you have the chance.
Helpful - 0
I am in the study at Mass General with David MacLaughlin to check my MIS levels.  I was dx with GCT stage 1a in 2003.  My recent readings were extremely high, 27 up from 5.7.  It should be 0 if you have no ovaries, which is my case.  So needless to say, I am quite worried.  But my MRI showed nothing, which doesn't comfort me much, since my original tumor did not show up on anything. These makers can put us in a quandry, but I think it's best to have a leg up on a possible recurrence.  That is interesting about MIS as a treatment for ovca stem cells.  I'll try to find out more. Thanks!
Helpful - 0
Dear Scoutshadow:

It is true David Maclaughlin is involve in the study. But please read article published under the MGH, the Massachusetts General Hospital dated July 24, 2006 which showed Mullerian Inhibiting Substance (MIS) as a protein that can kill the ovarian cancer stem cell (the suspect cell that recurs) and  treated with MIS in mice and was proven successful.

Thanks.
Helpful - 0

I have done a bit of research on this and my understanding of MIS is that it is a marker for people who have had TAH/BSO due to granulosa cell tumours.  When someone has had removal of reproductive organs, or they are post menopausal they no longer produce MIS.  When this is used as a marker and it comes back elevated it may be an indication that another GCT is growing.

Dr David MacLaughlin has writen research on this 'Diagnostic Utility of Mullerin Inhibiting Substance Determination in Patients with Primary and Recurrent Granulosa Cell Tumors.'

Hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
Thank you and I will. MIS is under Anderson in Texas and may solve the puzzle why OvCA just keeps on recurring and how to treat the "mother stem cell" (recurs) and the regular OvCa tumor which does not (see goggles). They have tested it with mice and confirmed it. When they treat them with MIS the mother stem cell responded( like the video game PACMAN eating the mother stem cells). With Ovarex MAB(now on Phase III clinical trial), there is a patient or patients with OVCA treated 19 years ago that is/are still alive.
Helpful - 0

No I'm not using this substance but am very interested in it.  I'm going to post on the ovca.net forum, those with granulosa cell tumours (like mine) seem to be on it, and I wish also to find out more.  I have tried it on the search engine but the results are too scientific for my understanding.

If you find out any more please let me know - likewise if I get any info I'll let you know.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.