Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Sudden CA-125 Elevation

I was diagnosed in late 2001 with Stage I Ovarian Cancer, had surgery and 3 rounds of chemo. For almost 5 yrs. now, all checkups have been good and CA-125 tests very low. In May I had surgery for what turned out to be an abcess within a pocket of infection in the lower right lobe of my lung (due to a bout w/pnuemonia in Dec). My last CA-125 was done in April during a barage of other tests to help rule out OC involvment in this lung situation. It too was very low - around 8.  Another was done about two months following my regular oncology checkup and it was found to have suddenly elevated to 38.

With all the testing (CT, X-Ray, Bronchoscopy,etc) I have had done recently showing no tumors, does it seem possible that this sudden rise in CA-125 might have something to do with remaining inflamation due to my recent lung surgery? I also have been having some bronchial/sinus drainage issues which I thought were either alergies or somehow related to the surgery. I have been in a state of panic for months now because of the constant testing, surgery, etc. and would very much appreciate any input on this. Thank you in advance.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I got the results of my CT Scan back today and my doctor said eveything looked good!  She is leaning toward the idea that the elevation in my CA-125 test was due to the lung operation.  She wants me to repeat both tests in 6 weeks. Hoping and believing for good results.
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
If you don't mind sharing, I'd like to know how your CT Scan turns out.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

Gail :)
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your quick and kind response Gail.  I will definately check that post out. My doctor wants to run another CT scan and I was lucky to get an appointment for tomorrow so, I can hopefully know something more definitive soon. One thing I forgot to mention is that I also tripped a couple of weeks ago on some tree roots in my backyard and fell very hard. It didn't seem to injure me badly but, I did feel very sore - especially on my right side (the lung that was operated on). I don't know if this could figure in as far as inflamation causing a false reading but, thought it was somewhat significant.
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
It may very well be a result of your lung problems.  If you have a chance, you should go over to the Ovarian Cancer Answers section on this web site and read the post from July 14 called "Understanding CA125 fluctuations".  In her reply, Dr. Goodman mentions that lung problems can lead to a rise in CA125 numbers.  It might help ease your mind.  With all the stress you have been having due to your health, that would certainly be welcome, I'm sure!  Does your doctor seem concerned or want to take further action?  Best of luck to you.  I hope everything gets worked out, and you feel better soon.

Gail :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.