Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Remove my ovaries or Not?

Hi! I just wanted to get another opinion on my present circumstances. I have been in remission for 2 years.  I had a right breast mastectomy with tram flap reconstruction and did 6 months of chemotherapy. My oncologist has been keeping an eye on my ovaries for the past two years. At present my left ovary measures 6.0x4.1x5.5 cm, it has grown 2cm from my previous sono and also contains multiple cysts including a new 3.2 hypoechoic mass- solid mass. My right ovary is smaller but also has several cysts. My great grandmother died of breast cancer, my maternal aunt has had breast cancer twice and yet another one of my aunt's had uterine cancer. Two weeks ago my great uncle was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.  My GYN wants to put me on birthcontrol pills for six weeks then redo the sono and then possibly remove my ovaries.  My oncologist thinks they need to come out now.  I agree with my oncologist. Can anyone offer me any advice? Thanks.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I really appreciate all of your comments. I am 41 years old by the way and have three beautiful girls.  I am going to see my oncologist tomorrow.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
I agree, go with what your gyn/onc says and have them out.  Your health is a priority.  You need to take care of yourself or you cannot help anyone else.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
How old are you?  

My good friend who had breast cancer did tamoxifen for 5 years then had her ovaries removed.  When they removed them they found "a few" cancerous cells within the ovaries and told her she was all set, with no need for chemo.  So in her case, removing them was definitely the right thing to do.

When my mom was diagnosed with ovca, my gyn said we would remove my ovaries when I turn 50 or hit menopause, whichever comes first. But this spring I had a scare with some cysts (I'm 43), and now we think they'll come out sooner.

If you're over 40 and done having kids, I'd take them out.
Helpful - 0
I agree with you, have it out prevention is always better than cure, good luck! xxxx
Helpful - 0
I agree 100% with you and your oncologist....get that stuff out ASAP....all that matters is what you and your onc think....
Peace.
dian
Helpful - 0
Get a 2nd opinion from a gynecological oncologist.  They would be more likely to determine the next step since they specialize in cancer.  Best of luck to you.

Shawn
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.