Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

mucinous cystadenocarcinoma

The last time I saw the oncologist he told me he removed  mucinous cystadenocarcinoma during my surgery.  Does anyone here have or know anything about that type of ovarian cancer?  I couldn't find much on the internet and would like to hear first hand what other's experience might be.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I appreciate all your comments and information.  CT and onc appointment are coming up.  I was told my lymph nodes were clear.  I did start out with some spots on my liver and I hope the next CT has some information on that.  As it is, I am expanding, but maybe it is the inactivity imposed on me by the chemo.  Can't wait until I can get outside and have a good walk.  I follow a strict diet because I have diabetes.

I googled mucinous cysadenocarcinoma again and was able to find lots of information, pictures, CTs, and actually more information than the ordinary person would want to know.  I like to be informed.  I find it makes it easier to understand the dr. when I know what he is talking about.  Thanks again.

Are there any stage 3 survivors here?
Helpful - 0
I was diagnosed with Mucinous Ovarian Cancer stage 1c in July of 2005. My oncologist is Dr. Jay W. Carlson in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He was the surgeon general for Walter Reed Medical Center Gynecological Cancer unit. He retired in 2004 and joined one of the best practices in Michigan, they rival the University of Michigan Hospital.  He is very renowned and has written papers on Mucinous Ovarian Cancer.  

I was also told that this rare form of Ovarian Cancer does not respond well to the normal Ovarian Cancer treatment.  My chemotherapy was the intraperitoneal hyperthermic chemotherapy because my cancer burst in my abdomen upon removal.  This is where they put the chemo directly into your abdomen surgicaly, 10 times stronger and heated which makes it more powerful.  They run it through your body for two hours. My chemo agent, however, was mitomycin C which is a chemo agent used for colon cancers since they are mucinous in origin as well, they just stem from the colon.  I hear there are tremendous side effects if you use the regular ovarian cancer treatments but less so with the Mitymicin C, which is what I had, with no side effects, besides the normal tremendous amount of pain from the ovarian cancer staging at the same time.

The luck of it all is most mucinous ovarian cancers are caught early and are found most commonly 10 years younger than serous ovarian cancer which is the most common form.  You must be the 30% that wasn't caught early.  Is the cancer in your lymph nodes?  Please let me know if I can help at all.  I will be thinking of you and hope you will be doing well.  You may be cured someday, but the fear never goes away. I am only 10 months out, however, maybe it will get better.

God Bless,
Danielle DeMaso
Helpful - 0
:) My initials and last two letters of surname.  I get so many rejections on my name I thought this would be a good combo...and with chemo brain. To me, I am PJ.  It just never occured to me.  Sorry, this is such a nice site.

I have ovca 3C, had carbo/taxil, didn't work, doxil discontinued, CTs and oncologist visit coming up so I am trying to find out more about mucinous cystadenocarcinoma.  I knew what I had, but the word mucinous didn't reach home on one of those earlier appointments.  I was extremely fatiqued at the time.
Helpful - 0
Pjet why was the doxil discontinued?
Helpful - 0
What the heck does "pjet" mean?  Anyway, hello there...I am dian....I was diagnosed in April of 2005 with mucinous adenocarcinoma stage IC.....my chemo began 5 weeks after surgery.... ended September 13,2005.......I get checkups with my oncologist and my gynocologist on regular basis....just happens I will see my gyn tomorrow and afterwards will get some blood work done to make certain things aren't going backwards....so far so good....though we all want to hear good news the fear of hearing something we don't want to hear makes each check-up a thing of a certain amount of dread...
If you have what I have you will have chemo that will not be fun but it can be dealt with.....most here get the same initial chemo....just buck up and be tough...nobody will say it is easy but we will all help you walk your path....some of us have already been there....some are still there....and some are walking the path again.....just develop a good relationship with your oncologist and his team.....you will fight this disease together.....trust them and tell them what fears you have...tell them about your pain....tell them when you need help.....they only succeed when you beat this....they want to help in any way possible...so do we here at this site....we are all in this together....keep us included in your journey and we will do our best to get you through this.....we are all cysters in this battle...
Peace.
dian
Helpful - 0
I was reading an article today and it said :Mucinous tumors account for 1%of common epithelial ovarian cancer and most often affects women 30-50... also Clear cell and mucinous have the worst response to Chemotherapy.  There is another gal on here who currently is fighting the same type. Hopefully she will be along to help you.
Good luck
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.