Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

update on mum

hi all, a quick update on my mum, she was rushed into hospital monday with a huge hard belly, which we had been told was constipation. been in hospital since very ill with a complete bowel obstruction, we have been told it is touch and go with her, obviously we are absolutely devastated, she has been through so much bless her, she is such a fighter, she is having steroids etc. through an iv, and has to have chemo tomorrow to try and shrink the new tumors that are blocking the bowel,  how can this be happening? when things were looking so good a while ago. she has had 2 surgeries and chemo and has never been pain free since dx in jan. we are very afraid, scared and everything else. please say a prayer for her. she and you are all such brave women going through all this ****
20 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
154520 tn?1270164176
Thank you so much for replying too me. It certainly is a big wake up call when someone so close to you is suffering. Unfortunatly my sister is in another country from where I live, but talk to her on the phone most days.  Had some quality time with her back in September, and will go to her when I really have to.  Spoke to her today and she said the morphine was not taking away the pain, so she will go back to the Dr tomorrow.   I was told to have a regular scan myself, as also had a Aunty that died from ovarian cancer.
Do hope you are keeping strong. Take care.
Helpful - 0
hi thanks for your reply, i feel so sad your poor sister is also going through all of this, and with her depression and her pathetic partner leaving her all on top of her trying to fight this terrible disease, i hope she and my mum starts to pick up soon. my thoughts are with you. hugs and love go out to you both x
Helpful - 0
154520 tn?1270164176
so sorry to hear about your mum really touched my heart.  My sister also has ovarian cancer  stage 3 aged 54yrs old, diagonesed a year ago, undergone chemo, Latest being her bloodtest was on the high side, at present she is suffering a lot of pain in her abdomen, and on morphine. Unfortunatly suffering depression as well as her partner of 15yrs left her for another woman after he found out she had cancer. Your Mum is in my prayers. Regards
Helpful - 0
hi thanks very much for your info i will go and have a look now. many thanks kaz x
Helpful - 0
hi have just read about your poor mum, i am so sorry you are going through all of this as well, please keep us posted about how she gets on. hugs and love go out to you both xx
Helpful - 0
Hi, just read your comments about your mom being rushed into hospital, I'm so sorry.  I don't know any of your background story but it sounds very similar to what is happening with my own mom. If you have time to read my story i've posted it under CA-125 gone from 90 to 700 in three months.
Helpful - 0
First, let me say that I am sorry you and your mum are going through this!  Nothing I can say will make it any easier on you.  My mother died 11 years ago, and it was very difficult.

My boyfriend's mother recently died of lung cancer.  When she was moved from the hospital into hospice care, the procedure was to feed her only if she asked (no feeding tube) and to give her water only if she asked (no saline drip).  It sounded barbaric to me too!  Needless to say, it wasn't likely that his mother was going to be even able to ask!!  But the nurses in hospice explained that for a dying person, this is actually the best possible thing.  Otherwise, the patient gets bloated and it is very uncomfortable.  Dying is a natural process, and the body slowly shuts down; if it has to process all that intake too, it is much harder!

That said: good luck with your second opinion!  I wish both your and your mother the best possible outcome!

Amy
Helpful - 0
hi talk about confused.  The oncologist told us yesterday that they were removing the feeding tube and basically she would starve to death.  I was horrified this is so barbaric the consultant said she thought it would be quick.  Today i spoke with palliative care she said mum could eat and could sustain her self for a matter of weeks or months even with a gn tube in. I am currently in the process of seeking a second opinion privately in london because i have no faith in one opinion we have been told so many different things and payed lip service so many times.  Dont give up and try all avenues then you can be at peace with yourself that you have tried everything. Thoughts are with you.
Helpful - 0
hi oh my god that is terrible about starving. i am glad your mum can now eat etc., like you i am so confused at a lot of things, you are told one thing then later your told another. also i will try every avenue as well, my thoughts are with you and your mum, this is such a terrible disease. xx
Helpful - 0
hi finkaz sorry to hear about your mum as well. my mum was also kept on the same chemo that wasnt working. i will aslo keep praying for your mum, love to you both x
Helpful - 0
sorry to hear bout your mum we hve just been told it is now only a matter of days/weeks as it has spread to the bowel i cannot understand why chemo has not been changed earlier if it is not working.  You are in my thoughts and prayers this is a hard time for us.
Helpful - 0
thanks to you all for your kind words and your prayers, please keep praying for my precious mum x
Helpful - 0
Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.  Stay strong.
Helpful - 0
You are commending everyone else her, but honestly, you are to be commended just as much for all your continued emotional and loving support for your mum.  That is worth all the treasure on earth!
Helpful - 0
May God bless you and your Mum and let him hold you both in his arms, you both will be in my prayers!
God Bless You!
Angelwings21
Helpful - 0
I am so sorry to read this post from you regarding your mother.  I had been praying that she had 'turned a corner' and that things would begin to improve for her.   I am heartened to read that the doctors are not giving up on her yet! There is nothing that I can add except that you are both in my thoughts and prayers.
Helpful - 0
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom.  I am just beginning the journey with my sister.  I believe that the constant "ups and downs" are just so emotionally draining.  You felt that your mom was doing so well and now another setback.  I just repeat this quote to myself (sometimes many times a day) and it helps me...maybe it will help you too.  "If God leads you to it, He will lead you through it."
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
Your mum and entire family are in my prayers.  I am so sorry things have turned out as they have, but you never know with this disease.  I truly hope things can be worked out, and she will be able to recover.  God bless!

Gail
Helpful - 0
136849 tn?1327321510
God Bless both your Mom and yourself.  Bless her heart.  You both are in my daily prayers.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
You and your mum and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.