Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Ovary pain during pelvic exam

Hi, Sept 16, 2006.   I am 59 and no history of ovarian or any other cancer in the family. I had a vaginal hysterotomy 14 years ago and they left the ovaries. A year and a half ago I went for my regular gyn check up, when I was being examined there was a lot of pain on the right side in the area of the right ovary.  The doc said she felt I should go for a CA 125. That came back 39, so then off to get an v/us, which showed nothing. Three months later repeat CA125, now 31 but the Doc said we will just watch it.  I just went and had it done again and it is 34, so she sent me for another vaginal ultrasound. It was fine again. When they did the ultrasound when ever they would go to the right side with the probe, the pain was terrible.  I never have pain there, only if being examined. I am not sexually active so don't know if that would hurt too. I just feel this is not normal to have that pain.  I did read an article that said postmenaposal women have sensitive ovaries. My Doc says she thinks I should stop getting the CA125, it is just causing me stress.  I just don't feel comfortble with that. Does anyone have advice. Should I go get a CT scan?  Can you explain the pain issue? Has anyone ever experienced that.  Thanks, Karen
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I want to thank all of you for the advice.  I am going to get a CT Scan.  I feel like a person has to get every test available to make sure your not missing something, since this cancer is so hard to diagnose.  Thanks again, I will let you know.
Helpful - 0
119341 tn?1232563757
That is what brought me to this site last year and back again at the beginnig of this year. During my annual when she checked my left ovary I came off the table. It hurt. Had the tvus. Nothing. Then at the beginning of this year. Had different pain with menstral cycle. Had exam and again hurt during exam. My husband heard me cry out in waiting room. I also had no other pain from that area before that. Had tvus. Had 1.5 cm cyst on right ovary. Doesn't explain about left. The ladies on this board reassured me. They said it could have been a cyst that resolved that left the ovary a little tender. By March when I went to a yet another doctor it no longer hurt when touched.
I agree with aligator79. Ask for a CT Scan. Keep us posted.
Paula
Helpful - 0
152660 tn?1291755571
I also had pain during a pelvic exam.  I have pain besides, but during the v/us they did not find anything so they did a CT scan.  The CT showed a softball sized dermoid cyst that has to come out.  I haven't had a CA-125- probably due to my age.  You might ask about a CT scan.
Helpful - 0
Hi there,

Since you still have your ovaries it is possibly that you have a cyst that is causing you all that pain. I have had numerous cysts over the years and they can be quite uncomfortable. Also, a CA125 test can be elevated by certain types of cysts. I would not worry about a score of 34.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.