Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

how do they decide...??

how do they decide if they will remove a 5cm complex cyst or play the 'sit and wait' game?  is it based on opinion per each gyno?

also - how long is the usual recovery time (time off work) for this type of surgery?

thanks gals!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
If they decide to do the watch and wait, it's usually for about three months. They will do an ultrasound each month to look at it and look for changes. If it gets bigger or has no changes at all, then they usually schedule surgery. That's what they did with mine. It had no changes on TVUS, so they did surgery. If it hasn't gone away on it's own in three months, then it's not going to.
Hang in there, and keep us posted!
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
i was told that my cyst would be removed because on my 2nd scan 4 months after my first the cyst had grown from 2/3 cms to 4cms and on the scan it looked like a dermoid cyst which usually get bigger and can cause problems if not removed. i have had the cyst removed via a laparotomy and have been told that i can go back to work at 6 weeks post op.
Helpful - 0
155056 tn?1333638688
There are lots of things that the doctor will look at before deciding if surgery is required.  It is not only the size of the cyst, it is the shape, consistency (fluid or solid), if there have been changes in the size, shape or matter, are you in pain, is it causing any other problems.

Time off of work would depend on the type of surgery and extent of surgery.

I have had my right opherectomy/salpingo in 2000 and a left opherectomy/salpino and hysterectomy in 2004.  I was in the hosptial for 3 days after each surgery with the recoup time being 6 weeks, I did go back at 5 weeks after the 2nd surgery.  

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.