Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

HELP! Weird period

Hi guys for those of you who know me, I need you to weigh in what is going on. Background: Had a benign serouscystadenoma and left ovary removed in March 2006. I am 51 have been in peri-menopuase for a couple years, so the gyn said this could throw me into complete menopause. Well, I've only had 2 periods since my surgery...this last one totally weird.
Day 1 was Aug. 14th. It started very light with minimal flow. In all I  had maybe 3-4 days of what I would call "normal" bleeding. This is unusual for me, as I typically have very heavy periods/clotting for 7-8 full days.  After this very light period, I had very light spotting for about a week after. So, light, I was only aware of it when I would see a tinge on the T.P. ( not trying to be gross, just explaining). Anyway, this stopped Saturday the 26th. Monday nite, the 28th another tinge, Tuesday and Wednesday nothing. This morning another tinge. And I do mean literally a tinge. lol.
I had a pelvic exam in May along with PAP...all normal. They also told me based on ultrasound that my endometrial lining was thin. This apparently is good. I have a call into the gyn, but the nurse seems to think this is homronal, related to menopause. She said sometimes during peri- there is not enough hormone and the periods "sputter" instead of flow.

Has this happened to any of you peri-menopausal ladies? I should also mention, i've had a very stressful month. Someone hit hubby's brand new car, son started college, other son had major oral surgery, and my mom and aunt are arriving for a 5 day visit tomorrow! HELP!

Hudson
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
HI, I sometimes think taking hormone supplements to fix irregular bleeding results in just what you described....other problems. That happened to me about 20 years ago. I had bleeding between cycles and they gave me provera to fix it. Well about 4 months later I developed a huge (10cm.) ovarian cyst. I swear it had something to do with the provera and I will never take that again. Ar age 51, I just want the whole irregular thing to be over and really wanted my gyne to do a hysterectomy when I lost the one ovary last March. She refused and I am now having this issue and seeing a new gyne. Ugh. On and on we go!

Hudson
Helpful - 0
I had most or all of my hormone levels tested some years ago.  At that time, I was in my late 30s and had begun having what were - for me - "irregular" periods, with missed ovulatory cycles, widely varying cycle lengths, widely varying flows, and mid-cycle spotting.  My hormones were found to be in "disarray" and I was diagnosed as definitely perimenopausal;  unfortunately, I  just do not recall any of the specific data anymore.  My doctor believed that I might reach menopause in as few as five years.  I was prescribed a bio-identical progesterone supplementation to offset my excess estrogen levels.   My doctor also recommended a book on natural, or more natural, methods of dealing with hormonal issues, perimenopause, and menopause.  I read the book, and followed the advice of my doctor as well as that given in the book.  Instead of reaching menopause, I developed a large endometrioma that required surgery.   The following year, I developed cysts on my remaining ovary.  Then I was diagnosed with polyps in my uterus.  Oh, well.  I tried.
Helpful - 0
Hi, and thanks for the reassurance. The nurse called back after speaking with my gyne and he was not alarmed. He said wait and see what it does the next couple cycles. He seems to think the I may not have enough hormone to have a real period so I am spotting intemittently. She said he would be willing to do a blood test to see if my FSH levels were high ( indicating menopause is near?). Has anyone had this done?

Hudson
Helpful - 0
Yes, your experience seems completely normal to me.  Remember that losing an ovary means that the other ovary must take charge of the full duties associated with a monthly cycle.  This adjustment can take time to develop a normal monthly cycle routine, and in some women, the remaining ovary only does it duty every other month.  It is quite likely that you have always had some form of endometriosis (very heavy periods and clotting are symptoms of excess estrogen) and it may very well be that you are finally having more normal cycles for your age and circumstances (perimenopause, post-surgical recovery, overload of stress factors, etc.)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.