Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

3 chemo treatments vs. 6 ???

I am diagnosed Stage 1C but with a clear cell which is aggressive...I am still learning about this beast so that's all I have for now. My gyn oncol said he wanted me to do 6 rounds of chemo. My chemo doc said 3. Chemo doc claims there is no studies that show 6 is better than 3. To me...6 and 3 are very different! I want to get this right the first time so I am very confused. Do you think I should get a 3rd opinion? Has anyone had this dilemma?
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
OMG!  I am going through this right now!  I thought I had actually written this post :-).  I was diagnosed with uterine cancer AND ovarian cancer Stage lC grade 2.  I had a hysterectomy and had two masses removed.  One the size of a basketball that was on the outside of my left overy and was cancerous.  So, same thing with me.  My ob/gyn oncologist strongly prescribed 6 treatments of chemo for a variety of reasons.  Within a weeks time between the CT scan and surgery, he stated that the mass had noticeably gotten bigger.  It also had attached to the lining of my pelvic cavity.  That means it was possible that cells could have gone through into another area.  Biopies in other areas were negative which was good.  And the fact that I had two cancers, as well.  He said that if I asked 100 of his colleagues that they would recommend the same course of treatment.  A few weeks after surgery, I met with the Chemo doctor.  After I did all the informing of my case (she definitely had skimmed my information), she stated that she recommended only three treatments.  I was a little put back and told her that it was not what my oncologist had recommended.  By the way, my oncologist is a Harvard Medical School graduate, has practiced for 35+ years, is the head of a very reputable oncology department in Maine, and is internationally renowned.  When I pushed back, she stated that she had spoken to my oncologist that morning about only doing three.  I clearly was not happy and she stated that I should do three as I may not be able to tolerate it well; and then, we would look at whether to do the remaining three.  I was not happy and after thinking about it for a day decided that that was NOT what I wanted to do.  I called my oncologist and again stated my case.  It is research supported that if you have a recurrance within six months of the last Chemo treatment that the Chemo did not work and you probably will be spending the rest of whatever time you have left, managing your cancer.  It will not be cured.  My oncologist agreed.  If I only did 3 out of 6 and it recurred within six months, then what was the point.  I don't even know if the additional three treatments would have mattered or not.  Furthermore, those "studies" your chemo doctor is referring to were based on about 400 cases (not much for a sample) from the same hospital.  As a psychologist, I can tell you that that is a VERY SMALL population to base a life decision on.  My doctor is in the process of contacting the Chemo doctor to have her schedule six treatments and if I can't tolerate all six, so be it, but it will be my choice.  I get my port put in next week.  I actually told the nurse in the office of the Chemo doctor that if I wasn't scheduled for six, don't schedule me for one.  That is how adamant I am about either treating it completing or not bothering at all.  Dont' be railroaded.  It is YOUR BODY AND YOUR LIFE.
Helpful - 1
1 Comments
Hello and welcome to the forum. You are going through a lot. I'm glad you are a strong woman advocating or yourself. It sounds like your oncologist is excellent. Is the doctor administering the chemo your only option? I can understand your concern. This would be infuriating, I am sure. You are taking control of your health and deserve to do just that. Aggressively treating the cancer is your choice and should be respected.  Six rounds of chemo given in 3 to 4 week succession is the normal coarse of treatment. Ovarian cancer is typically diagnosed, unfortunately, at later stages than you but you have a complex situation.  Please let us know the outcome of how things go. Best of health and I'll be following your journey.
Just saw how old the post was.  Hope you are doing well and made the right choice for you.
Helpful - 0
You said it Dianne! I just thought to myself I still can't believe how good I feel compared to when I didn't even realize I had the alien!! It's scary to know you just tolerate feeling that way and luckily we have found the source and got it taken care of. I too check back to the site to see how others are doing and am still shocked and saddened by the amount of newcomers with those same questions I had. It's a wonderful support group and I pass it on to everyone all the time. I am glad you are doing well too. Keep it up! I'll post back after my 2nd round of chemo.
Helpful - 0
I am SO GLAD you are feeling better and you just sound so much more upbeat. I was really worried about you after your 9/17 post. You have two little girls and I also had two little girls a few years back (now 13 & 15, with an 11 yr old brother). I am glad you are able to hold them and be there for them. I am feeling very well, thank-you for asking. As I hear so many women say, I did not really even realize how bad I felt until I got the "alien" out of me 8/7. I saw my gyn just recently (had been seeing my onc/gyn). She said mine was the largest serous cystadenoma tumor she had seen on a pathology report. I am totally back to normal, with just a 5 inch vertical inscision that gets better with every day. I am on a good dose of estradiol and very close to getting a "tad" of testosterone, to crank up the libido.  As healthy and wonderful as I feel, I cant help but check in to see how everyone else is doing, especially you, because we were going through the "wait" at the same time. Everyone on this forum really helped me through the total anxiety period and I read the wonderful exchange of support, and I am moved. And you see new womeon post everyday walking the same path we walked just a few months ago.

Hang in there, get through it, it was caught early and you must feel blessed, I know I do, Isnt great to read how the comments from women who are a little farther down the path of chemo and you just know you are going to come through it just fine and you will be stronger and better!
Helpful - 0
Hey there! Sorry about that. I am a week away from treatment #2 and honestly I feel great. My hemoglobin is rising thanks to iron pills. I feel more like a person again. I am able to get around and I even pick up the girls a bit but never from standing position. Only to sit them on my lap. My hair has really started to come out and I got my wig trimmed today. I still feel like an alien in it but I guess it'll take some getting used to. If I don't eat well during the day I do get tired faster but nothing unbearable. After Wednesdays treatment I am sure I'll want to sleep all weekend. I actually asked the doc why I couldn't do 2nd round in week 2...I don't wait well for things LOL! He explained body needs time to heal...I guess I figured I feel great so let's get it done with. I need to learn patience I guess...I am sure the next round will get tougher. Thanks for asking!
How are you feeling since surgery? I hope you are healed nicely!
Helpful - 0
Hi Loralai,

You didnt comment on how your feeling? One of you last post you mentioned being tired and pale and you were just beginning your treatments. How are you holding up? I know it has been about a month since your surgery and your Stage 1C diagnosis. I have been praying for you that it is getting better.

Dianne
Helpful - 0
I kind of figured. Of course one part of me says "oh 3 won't be too bad" but the rationale side of me says "do the 6 so you have no regrets". We agreed to get to 3 and go from there. I have the feeling I'll do more. Might as well lose my hair once. My girls are little so they won't remember. My sister is home with her little girls watching my little girls which is helpful!! Thanks everyone!
Helpful - 0
136849 tn?1327321510
Mine was a Stage 1A, clear cell.  My gyn/onco right from the beginning said to do chemo, as a preventative, just as alittle extra assurance.  Didn't have to tell me twice, especially after I read through the internet on this cancer, and was scared to death.  When I was turned over to an oncologist closer to my home for the treatment, he was the one that hesitated and didn't even know if I should get chemo, until he spoke to the top notch Ovarian Cancer doc at John Hopkins, and she just flat out said, here are the drugs she gets and you do it 6 times.  That was that, and I just finished my 6th cycle, Yippeeee.  And to be honest with you, I was getting the chemo done no matter what, I've never been a gambler, and I wasn't started now.  I am glad I did the 6.  And now I am off, hopefully, to having this behind me, forever.

Good luck to you.
Helpful - 0
Hey there...I was diagnosed IC mucinous ovarian cancer in April of 2005....my oncologist said straight out, "We have a chance for a cure here....we are going to get out the big guns"....I did the 6 rounds of carbo/taxol and I am certainly glad I did and that it is behind me.....I don't ever want that monster to rear it's ugly head again....I'd hate for someone to say, "Gee, maybe you should have taken six instead of three treatments"..
Mucinous, like clear, is an aggressive form of cancer....if your doc says your cancer is aggressive....hmm....why three instead of six?  Makes no sense to me.
Peace.
dian
Helpful - 0
My cancer was a stage 2 grade 3 and I wasnt given a choice...as oncologist says 6 is the recommended round. My CA 125 is down to a 8 but he says we have to finish it out. Look at it as uping your odds of the beasties coming back a few years down the line! good luck
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.