Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Ultrasound Help

This site is very informative.  I wanted to get some of your expertise with my ultrasound report. My left ovary is enlarged it's 7.9cm...they stated the norm is 3.3cm. There is large complex cyst which is 6.2 cm. The cyst contains multiple locations and some mural thickening and nodularity.  There is also some minimal free fluid.  The impressions states "While this may simply represent a benign complex cyst, the possiblity of a cystic neoplasm cannot be excluded on the basis of this exam."  Please help me decode this medical jargon.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm new to this site so bare with me.  I should've given more information.  This cyst started out at 2.3cm in Jan of 2005...the doc discovered it when I had an exploratory lap for severe pelvic pain. He said there was a cyst at that time and has since grown...which according to the US is now a complex cyst. Why he didn't remove it is beyond me. What worries me is that he knew the cyst was there and didn't schedule a f/u after the surgery to see if resolved. I went to the doc for my annual and he sent me to get an US telling me the cyst grew. I've been on birth control for 6 years.  He recommended a laparotomy to remove the cyst. In my heart I know it's just an ordinary cyst...getting my head to understand is something different.  My whole life these days seems consumed with this...  All these what if questions.
Helpful - 0
Pretty much, it could be a normal hemmhoragic cyst, or it could be something else like a dermoid or endometrioma. In other words... they didn't have a clue what it really is, and that's pretty common. Ultrasounds aren't 100% diagnostics, they just give a good idea of what it might be.
Are they monitoring you for a few months? That's pretty common, to see if it goes away. A hemmhoragic cyst will usually resolve on it's own, but anything else will not. So they do the watch and wait to see if it's hemmhoragic and goes away, rather than do surgery right away and open you needlessly for something that will resolve on it's own.
Hang in there, and keep us posted!
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.