Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Is this the end of my mother?

My mother has told me that she's loosing a lot of weight as she's not able to eat much without feeling very full. She's in a lot of pain in her stomach area, due to fluid build up again!she's on Gemzar after her Carbopl didn't seem to work. her CA125 went from 5000 to 590. But it's not going down now. Isnt' it when patients start loosing a lot of weight, that is a bad sign? Sorry to be so drastic! I'm just really so down. I've cried my eyes out to sleep every night lately. I don't know how I will handle her gone. She's my mom!!!!!
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It is difficult to say how long anyone has until very near the end.  I can tell you from your posts that she does not sound like she is near the end.  Usually, when living becomes more effort, or simply more painful, than it is worth for the patient, then he or she begins to turn inward, and become very self-reflective.  Your mother sounds a little too "with it" to be near death.  I could be wrong, I know, but I suspect that you will have a better idea when her mind begins that final change.

It will likely be premature to secure hospice care as that is reserved for those with a life expectancy of six months or less, but it will ease your mind if you have a plan in place when that time comes.  Even if hospice care begins, you can still return to be with your mother and let the hospice staff continue their work.  I have found that having hospice care actually lets the family enjoy the remaining time more as no one member of the family becomes over-burdened with the basic needs such as supplies, medicines, bathing, wound care, etc.  Hospice can even provide the medications to control pain and other symptoms, so the patient is relieved of the burden of extra visits to the doctor.

In the MidEast.  Oh.  I will pray for your safety.  I know that remaining safe and sound can be difficult  in these trying times.
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for your honnesty. I so appreciate this!!! You have no idea. Do you think the end is nearing? In fact, let me be honnest with you. I live in the Middle East at the moment and she's always praying for our safe return. We are European/American and feel the tensions. Not only here, I feel so far away from my mother. I am in fact going back this Wednesday for a few days to see her. I'm nervous as she has told me she's lost 20 pounds. She's half her size she warned me, as not for me to be shocked. What am I to expect? I'm so nervous. Do you think she will make it to Xmas? I wanted to take my children to see her, but am scared to expose my kids to her. I want them to remember her active and energetic as she's always been. Now she's not able to really eat, she's not sleeping well and taking Percozat often against the pain. Last night she spent 4 hours in ER only to be sent home after having taken an Xray. Nothing could be done for her. Mickey, what do you think of all this? Is this then really the end? Thank you for all your support!When i'm back there for 1 week, should I look at Hospice care? Or will the doctors at Sloan Kettering?
Helpful - 0
Generally speaking, when nothing more can be done for  a patient, then the doctors will recommend hospice care.   Until then, hope for some treatment success remains.  

As for hospice care.......hospice care focuses on making the patient comfortable and making the patient's remaining earthly time as pleasant and productive as can be done.  Contrary to what some folks think, hospice care can be provided in the home; it is NOT always necessary for the patient to leave the home and move to a facility.  (However, in some cases, the best possible care can only be provided in a facility.)

Another benefit of hospice care is that other resources, such as counseling and spiritual guidance are offered, and not only to the patient, but to the patient's family and friends as well.    I have seen wonderful responses to these various resources in the form of comfort provided to the patients as well as the families and friends involved.
Helpful - 0
Of course she's your mom and your feelings are totally normal.  Even if your mom lived to be 100 years old, you will never be prepared to lose her.

What do the doctors have to say about your moms progress?  What do they say is the next step.

Regardless of what lies ahead,continue to be there for your mom and give her your love and support - that will mean so much to her.

Please try to hang in there.

My mom is sick as well and this is the most horrific thing I have ever had to deal with.  I understand how you are feeling.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.