Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Home recovering from Laparotomy (completed Sept 29).

I'm back home now! I'm very tired and weak, but feel pretty good.
As a quick refresher, I was diagnosed with a 4 cm dermoid on my right ovary and had it removed via laparotomy on Friday.

My doctor also said that the dermoid was larger than expected, and he also removed a non-cystic growth from my left ovary.  I have no idea what that means, and will not get the path report until Tuesday. Does anyone have any ideas?

As for the surgery itself, if you have suffered with the pain, swelling, etc, from a dermoid or other cyst, the surgery will make you feel SO MUCH better!  I couldn't believe the lack of pain I felt coming out of surgery!  The nurses think it was because I was so use to the constant pain of my dermoid twisting, that the incision pain was minimal in comparison.

I have major swelly belly, and the gas pains are aweful, but overall, I am very happy to have the monster out of me - along with his brother (whatever the growth turns out to be).

I was extremely nervous going into the surgery and wanted to back out, but kept telling myself that it would be OK in a few hours..and sure enough it was!

I really hope that the second 'non-cystic growth' taken from my other ovary is benign, but if not, I know I can get the support from this group.

Good luck to those of you scheduled for surgery soon!
Dana
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Oh my gosh!!! I wish I had known this forum existed.  Just stumbled upon it from my permanent bed on the couch.  Diagnosed with dermoids about a 18 months ago.  Just had them removed last wednesday.  I thought it would be no big deal.  My doctors were acting kinda weird becuase I was waiting so long so I went ahead and had the laproscopy thing.  Never in any real pain before - just the woman pain that you you deal with.  I came out of surgery minus an ovary, a tube, and they left part of an ovary on the other side so I wouldn't go into menopause.  Never one to ask for a lot of support - the next day I got up and did five loads of laundry (carefully), vacumned the family room, and did the dishes.  I couldn't just lay there and "waste the day away".  I WAS SO STUPID.  The next day I rested some more because I felt worse (duh) and by the next night I began bleeding from my incision.  Okay - I am trying to do better now and I am truly doing very little.  I even took off this week from work.  The problem is no one explained the details of recovery to me. I am still driving to pick my son up from school and take him to soccer practice and someone told me it was bad for my insides.  I thought I was not supposed to drive becuase the pain medication would make me sleepy.  Since I did not take the pain meds before driving I thought I was okay.  I really enjoyed reading about the abdominal muscle pains and gas issues - I don't feel so bad now.  My question is - I need to go back to work next week - I have a choice of driving or taking the subway - which is the lesser of two evils? thanks
Helpful - 0
Hi Jane,

Yes the waiting is far worse than the actual operation.  I was so scared & nervous a few days leading up to my surgery that I couldn't hold anything in my system.  I would cry for no apparent reason, and the morning of the surgery, I felt like running away!
The hospital I went to was very good - the nurses were the best that I had ever had before, and they explained everything that was going to happen.
They gave me an anti-nausea pill prior to surgery, as I tend to get quite sick after anastesia (sp?).  The doctors all spoke with me in the operating room as they administered my IV & anastetic.  All I remember is getting very light headed, and then waking up in the recovery room.  I think I even dreamt abit (what I don't remember- but it was pleasant - I normally have very weird dreams).  When I woke up, I was very tired, but didn't feel any pain.  At first, I thought I was at home.  After about a half an hour, the nurses brought me to my room and my family was able to visit.  The nurses (behind a closed curtain) changed my gown and washed off the betadine solution that was left on my tummy.  They immediately asked me if I needed any pain medication, and wanted me to rate my pain level on a scale of 1-10.  I was at a 4 range, so I didn't want anything right then.  I visited with my family for a few hours before asking for some pain meds (they gave me morphine) and then fell asleep.

The next morning I felt incredible!  Moving was a slow process as my ab muscles were tender, but overall, compared to the pain I experienced before surgery, I was doing great!

Each day I start to feel better and have more movement in my ab region.  As of today, I've already lost 10 pounds and haven't done anything different!

I know that you will be nervous leading up to your surgery-it is only natural.  But I am certain that you will feel like a new person (or at least your old self before the illness) when you get out!

I wish you the best of luck and will be thinking of you!
If you ever have any questions or are anxious, post me and I'll do my best to help calm your nerves!
Dana
Helpful - 0
I am glad the operation was not to bad and wish you a speedy recovery.

i am going in to hospital 31st october  surgery 1st november.
Is the waiting worse than the op?
Helpful - 0
Congrats on getting your 'alien hairball' removed!! Be sure and let us know what your path report says!
Welcome to the RS!
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
Good Luck with recovery and path report. I am 8 weeks post op as of today and I FEEL GREAT! You will too!
Helpful - 0
best wishes for a quick recovery. week by week youll feel better and dont worry about the swelly belly im 7 weeks post op and it appears to be disappearing a now
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.