Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Back From Gamma Knife Radiation

Hello everyone.  In case you didn't know, I was diagnosed last week with brain mets and went to Mayo to be evaluated.  Since they found a total of 4 tumors in my cerebellum with one in my brain stem, I obviously was not a surgical candidate.  But they were able to peform Gamma Knife radiation on all the lesions and we feel hopeful that they will reduce with time, ultimately die off.  I will then go for total brain radiation for 15 treatments.  They feel certain there are other areas of cancer in my brain that just haven't gotten big enough to show up yet.

It has been quite a week but I'm home again and feeling quite well.  I'm on some mega doses of steroids to keep the symptoms under control.  Ravenously hungry and starting to look moon faced but you do what you have to do.

6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Steve, that is wonderful news.  I hope that I am as blessed.  I have 4 lesions with the largest being about 8 cm so we're talking much more volume but they tell me that this is an effective treatment.  I have noticed an increase in my neuropathy that is starting to climb up my left leg but they say there is a chance of swelling so we'll just have to watch it.  In the meantime, it's Decadron city around here!

Mary, yes I grew up in Northfield!  I still love it there and it was a beautiful time of year to be there even though we were inside the clinic most of the time.  The leaves were just about at full color and we had very balmy temps so it was lovely.

Thank you all for your well wishes.  I appreciate that you thought about me, especially your prayers.  Take care, all.

Christa
Helpful - 0
Just to give you confidence, my wife Vi had gamma to remove a 1.2 cm lession in March this year, she also had full head radiation, we were told that it can take months for it to show on aMRI if its working/ Well Vi has just had a 4 monthn MRI and it lession had completely disappeared. Steve
Helpful - 0
106886 tn?1281291572
Christa,

It was good to see your post. I thought of you all week...especially since you were only about 60 miles away. Did you get to visit any other towns in Minnesota on this visit? I am guessing that you probably didn't, but if I could get in my two cents, I will say that Northfield is one of my favorite towns and you mentioned that you used to live there??? Small world, isn't it?

Let us know how things are going for you. You are in my prayers.

Mary
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi Christa.  Glad you are through the initial treatment and back home.  Thanks for keeping us in the loop with everything.  I think about you often, will continue to keep you in my prayers.  You are such a fighter, and I have no doubts you are going to give this a run for it's money.  Best wishes to you.  You are such an inspiration!

Take care,
Gail :)
Helpful - 0
135691 tn?1271097123
wow, you've had quite a ride, to say the least. I hope you continue to keep your strength up and fight. You sound like a very strong willed woman and your absolutley right - you do what you have to do. (although the steroids just suck!) Somedays you don't know where the fight will come from, but you always manage to find it. Good luck with the radiation treatments - I know you will do well and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Becky
Helpful - 0
It is great to hear from you and to know that you made it throught the Gamma Knife treatment with good results and prognosis. My prayers for you, and other sisters, is still strong and wishing you great results with the radiation treatments. Keep us posted.

Wishing you peace and good health, Dianne
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.