Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Worried about doing too much after surgery

Oh my gosh!!! I wish I had known this forum existed. Just stumbled upon it from my permanent bed on the couch. Diagnosed with dermoids about a 18 months ago. Just had them removed last wednesday. I thought it would be no big deal. My doctors were acting kinda weird becuase I was waiting so long so I went ahead and had the laproscopy thing. Never in any real pain before - just the woman pain that you you deal with. I came out of surgery minus an ovary, a tube, and they left part of an ovary on the other side so I wouldn't go into menopause. Never one to ask for a lot of support - the next day I got up and did five loads of laundry (carefully), vacumned the family room, and did the dishes. I couldn't just lay there and "waste the day away". I WAS SO STUPID. The next day I rested some more because I felt worse (duh) and by the next night I began bleeding from my incision. Okay - I am trying to do better now and I am truly doing very little. I even took off this week from work. The problem is no one explained the details of recovery to me. I am still driving to pick my son up from school and take him to soccer practice and someone told me it was bad for my insides. I thought I was not supposed to drive becuase the pain medication would make me sleepy. Since I did not take the pain meds before driving I thought I was okay. I really enjoyed reading about the abdominal muscle pains and gas issues - I don't feel so bad now. My question is - I need to go back to work next week - I have a choice of driving or taking the subway - which is the lesser of two evils? thanks
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Your welcome just make sure you take care of you now.. you have to listen to your body, everyone is different so really only you can tell if you are pushing too hard, and from the sounds of it you were pissing your body off good :)

Keep me posted on how things are going please.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for responding.  My mother had breast cancer when I was a young teen.  she eventually had cancer of everything and I spent my teen years going through it with her.  So when I think of her continuing to function through her illness to the very end and I read about the brave women on this forum I feel bad for not feeling well enough to go to work. Anyway - I really appreciated the feedback.
Helpful - 0
No your bowles are messed up for awhile.. it is strange I got something to help with that because it is so painful to use any muscles in your lower body.  I really think that you should give your doctors office a call and ask about your limitation and what you should do about work... I am not sure what you do but I work in an office all day and sitting in a chair like that for 8 hours wasn't allowed so I was off for 3 weeks. The first week back (last week) was still a little hard.  I would get some serious cramps from trying to do things like nothing happened.  You really have to listen to your body on these things.  Keep me informed please.

Jessy
Helpful - 0
I just took the post-op care paper and went on my merry way.  
the post-op care was for removal of the dermoids - it did not even address the loss of the ovary and tube. I ask so many questions when it comes to my kids but I never thought about finding out about my health.  This forum and being off this week is making me put more things in perspective.  My only issue is that I thought i would feel better than this by now and I am a little scared becuase I am supposed to go to work next week. Should my bowels be working again - nothing is happening unless I take a laxative.
Helpful - 0
I can't believe someone didn't explain recovery to you.. that is just outragous to me!! I have had two laps both for dermoids and both times it was 2 days in bed, no driving for a week if I could pull that off, no more than 10lbs for 6 weeks, and light exercising after 1 week.  I found out the hard way that following these instructions were easiest on my body... I was never discribed the effects on the inside, but I was off work for 3 weeks stuck in the house not lifting over 10lbs.  I found I would get stir crazy and start cleaning house (the specifically told me no vaccum because of the pulling motion but my is self propelled) well after a few house hold duties I really felt the difference my body was screaming for me to stop.  I would try and call your doctor or their nurse and ask about working and what you should and shouldn't be doing, I guess it all depends on how and what they did.  Please becareful you don't want any complications from pushing your body!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.