Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Please help very confused

Hello,

I am 31 years old no children yet, but have had ongoing pain for a whil in my right ovary for the past several years (about 6). I had previously been told I had a 2.8 cm cyst on my right ovary but that it was nothing and just to forget about it.

The pain has continued and I recently had another ultrasound ordered (the first in 2 years) because they wouldn't order one again so I just finally got the doctor to order it now.

Well, turns out I have a 6.2 cm cyst that appears to be benign and they are recommending surgery (laparascopic.

Here is the MRI report:

There is a 6 cm benign cyst in the posterior cul-de-sac posterior to the uterus. This can represent a benign broad ligament cyst or a __________ duct cyst (blank line they left it blank!). The possibility that this represents a cyst that could have originated from both ovaries should also be considered. This cyst does not have the appearance that is suspicious for malignant disease. The cyst does not show enhancement with gadoliunum contrast.

Normal size ovaries and uterus.

CA-125 results are 7 (normal less than 21)

CA-19-9 is 6 (<37)

My questions are:

1. Is this possibly in any way cancerous, the reasons I ask is because I have MANY symptoms of ovarian cancer, have gained a lot of unexplained weight, had hair growth suddenly, stomach so swollen, urinary frequency, lower back pain, etc.

2. Is a cyst the same as a tumor?

3 Should I get a second opinion and this might be a stupid question but would a gynecologist oncologist be someone to consult with at all?

Thank you!
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you, I sure hope so!
Helpful - 0
If your ca-125 result is 7, I dont think you have anything to worry about.
Helpful - 0
Thank you everyone for answering.

This is all very new to me so I appreciate you answering some of my questions.

Shawn, I am so sorry for your loss. That is so horrible that you were told it was nothing to worry about. Seems to be a common theme among some doctors today.

Everyone, can I ask a few more things:

1. Is a cyst the same as a tumor?

2. If the report is saying it looks benign won't I look like a hypochondriac to try and see an gyno/oncologist?

3. If this cyst has been there for years and grown is that a bad sign of possible cancer?

Thank you again!

Marie
Helpful - 0
Hey there, just wanted to mention the blank line in the report was probably left there by the medical transcriptionist who probably couldn't understand the word the doctor dictated there.
Helpful - 0
160503 tn?1248951442
A 6.2 cm cyst is a pretty good size and could certainly cause pressure on the bladder.  Cysts are sacs filled with a fluid.  The frequently appear on the ovaries and in women of child-bearing age are most often benign.  Many times they rupture and the discomfort disappears completely.  Your test results look good, but if you have a family hx of ovarian, breast, or colon cancer, it would be a good idea to talk to your doc about a GYN/ONC evaluation.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
First of all they can't tell it's benign without a biospy and number two, get a second opinion from a gyn/oncologist as they specialize in this area.  A cyst can cause all of your symptoms, but I would investigate further.  My husband was told he had just a cyst on his kidney and nothing to worry about. Well 1 year later he had advanced renal cell cancer and lived another 14 months after that.  I don't mean to scare you, and 99% of cysts are benign that is true but with your symptoms I would definitely take it a step further.  As you will hear from others is that you only have once chance to get it right.

Best of luck
Shawn
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.