Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

simple ovarian cyst

Hi
Iam 47 and have 10cm simple cyst on left ovary and smaller one on right ovary. I had my womb removed when i was 25 due to cervical cancer. I also have family history of ovc(my mother died aged 52 of ovc)and breast cancer(aunt-aged 49 and 2 cousins 1-aged32 and another aged 50). I am a couple of years past the menopause(early due to hysterectomy)and took hrt for about 12 years. Only medication now is painkillers.I see my consultant next week with a view to removal of both ovaries, i hope as pain is connstant amd at times very bad. I have had symptoms for about 12 mths now. They were vague to start(odd niggle now and then) but became a worry in june/july.I now find sitting,walking,opening bowels,peeing somtimes,lying on right side painful. I also have pain in left hip and groin and a dragging sensation in vagina.
My questions has anybody been diagnosed with simple cyst(by tvu)which then turned out to be cancer?. Is this cyst likely to dissapear without surgery?.Has anybody had one this size which has ruptured.
I would be eternally grateful for any input whatsoever no matter how small.DAWN
12 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
sorry its on this forum titled "increasing pelvic and leg pain"
Helpful - 0
I am new to this site also, as of last week !What age are you is the main question that everybody seems to take into account.1 of the main questions i want to ask is if they biopsey the growth/cyst there and then at the op.Because of my age,family history and partial hysterectomy i want both ovaries removed at the same time(i also have smaller cyst on right ovary)to save later hassel. I am from the uk so things may be done differently to other parts of the world.I am taking codine every 2 hours and on odd days when the pain is much worse they dod not touch it. I have been told i look thin and drawn but thats not surprising as like you i have been in pain for a long time now. Mine has been constant since june. On the doctor-patient and this one, forum check out "hip and leg pain" and " left sided ovary pain".You may find some amswers useful.Have you been told what size the cysts are. A lot of factors seems to be if they are pressing on other organs. Mine seems to be pressing on my lower bowel and bladder. I swear it moves around. I also am like you no whimp but its gets me down too.Good luck for tomorrow(i see mine as well)hope you get some answers.
Dawn
Helpful - 0
dalip?

I am new to this site as of yesterday and I have been told that I have 2 cysts on my left ovary.  I am in so much pain also and it seems as though the dr's just make you wait and tell you this is common!!.  I feel as though I am gradually complaining more but my comfort level is diminishing by day.  I am in pain all day as opposed to if pressing on my left side.  I am completely uncomfortable all of the time and all they tell me is oh you have two cysts..  I am tired of the waiting game as I want something done now..  I birthed my 9lb3oz little boy natural and this seems to be more painful( because it is constant for over a year actually close to 3 now).

Any ideas I would love the advice too.  I see the gyn tomorrow (had ultrasound on the 3rd my dr refferred me to obgyn) Is there any options I should consider or questions that I should be asking?

Thanks for any help I appreciate it.!!
Helpful - 0
No  not at all. Haven't answered before as I haven't been on the computer due to a cold etc. If you're hurting, you're hurting!! And it all doesn't sound right, though I hope you're in the 99% club. Still something needs doing clearly! I have seen your newer post - glad you got some answer to that one!

Tanya
Helpful - 0
good idea. keep looking and thanks. You dont think im causing too much fuss do you?.
Helpful - 0
Why don't you ask it again - and maybe mention the pain in your heading. There's a risk now it will just disappear well below the latest, so flag it up as a new q!

Tanya
Helpful - 0
Can someone who has experianced the main posted questions please respond. I am having so much pain i dont know how much longer i can put up with it. When i had my 3rd daughter(first 2 without any painkiller at all)who was extended breach,foreceps delivery and stuck, i only had gas and air, the nurses told me i had very high pain levels.4 years ago it was found i had several bleeding ulcers in 2 different places and had only visited my gp 1 about the severe pain. This is like nothing i have ever had before and its getting me down so much. I do not like to cause a fuss so will not go to A&E but just dose myself up and hide. I know there are a lot of others worse off than me but i need somone to tell me how to put up with it!!!
Helpful - 0
No what exactly is rcog. I used to have small ovarian cysts every few months on the right side even after my hystectomy. The pain started off gradual and then over a 3 day period got more severe until i could actually feel it pop. Then it would dissapear for a couple of months or so.Never had it on the left. That was one of the main reasons why i took hrt and it seemed to help. But i have not taken hrt for 18 months or so and have not had pain for about 2-3 years. Somhow this feels different,not in a sinster way.Although i know i wont be 100% certain until they remove it deep down i know im one of the 99% benign club.Thanks for your support and advise.
Helpful - 0
cheers for that. My only consolation is when i spoke to my consultant this morn to make app for next fri, i mentioned it was fri 13th!!!. He said looking at my scan results(i did not see full report, only know what gp told me) he thought i would be ok.Is that supposed to make me worry less as i know he does not know of family history or mine come to that.Thanks again im very gratfull. Is your painful by the way.
Helpful - 0
Hi Dawn! I haven't any answers for you, just a fellow feeling! I am just due to re check up a simple cyst which has hung in there now for 15-18 months since first dicovered. It wasn't as big as yours, but at last check last april when both the gynocn and I had expected it to disappear it hadn't, but had grown slightly past the magical 5cm instead. He wasn't worried as it was simple and uncomplicated with it, but I am due shortly, after the next ultrasound, to see him again. So, though I am lucky enought not to have your family history, I am also keen to see what anyone else says to you - I do have the same question, though with less worry, as there have been no dramatic changes to date. In the meantime - yes, I do understand of your anxiety and wish you all the best!
Helpful - 0
By the way, I did originally have one on my right ovary as well, a 'multilocular' one, eg with divisions. That one disappeared completely and fairly quickly without a trace, and I don't think at our age that is unusual. Apparently  simple cysts can have some inner walls that aren't significant. They judge that on the thinness of the walls and the overall look as far as I understand. And, of course, with me that proved totally accurate.

Also if you are in the UK have your read the RCOG green topped guidelines for how to deal with cysts in menopausal women. I have found my gynonc seems to have followed those to the letter.
Helpful - 0
Painful? No not really. Occasional twinges, but I have never been able to work out if that is due to my periods of thinking more about it (like now when it's coming up again) or genuinly painful. I have even wondered if it may have gone away altoghether by now. I won't know until my u/s on the 19th (I think it was). But then mine hasn't so far been as big as yours, I think it was 5.7cm or thereabouts. I became rather obsessively worried at one stage, particularly in the very beginning.Then a bit again last may/june when it past the 5cm size, and I was on this site 3 times daily. I then went on hols and had other things to think about, and so it is only know when appts are due again I am thinking of it. I think that's help with any twinges for me. You though clearly are suffering more. do try to remember about the 99% clud, eg 99% cysts at least before menopause are benign and I think something like 97% after. So your chances are very good, though it is still obvioulsy important to really be sure.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.