Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What next, test results

I've had 3 or 4 u/s and 3 or 4 tvu/s over the last year. I've had my ca125 level checked 5 times and it hovers around 50, give or take a few points. I don't have my latest u/s results to look at details, but my melanoma nurse at MD Anderson said the radiology report shows normal (I was there for a melanoma check-up and had them do my u/s tests). I'm certain there are still cysts and a fibroid. I am awaiting the reports to forward to my gyn/onc at home to tell me what she thinks. Assuming the report looks like they all have over the past year, what is next? Will we just check again in 6 months? I don't know if I have symptoms with the cysts or because of nerve damage due to one of many surgeries this past year. But I've been scanned head to toe, literally, had several u/s and had a colonoscopy. I've had over 30 tests this past year by a major cancer center. The CT of ab and pelvis look good too. Am I just one of those people with a high CA125 due to cysts and fibroids or should I be more concerned. We've watched and seen no change, good or bad, in the last year with bloodwork or tests. Thanks
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Lilybug, My doctor told me that the CA 125 test was basically not a good diagnostic tool and that he doesn't even like to do the test. He says there are too many false readings and it is not a valid test to use in pre-menopausal women.  I read somewhere that they have raised the number of what they consider to be "in the safe zone" (wish I could find that again, I will keep looking). I believe the test is used more to monitor the progress of ovarian cancer after a diagnosis.  You will find lots of women on this board who had ovca and a very low number.... and women with an elevated number that turned out to be benign conditions such as endometriosis.
I know how worrisome that melanoma is... I think I told you a while back my husband is under the same pressure.... They don't scan him as much as they do you but they did do the colonoscopy right after his diagnosis.  Sounds to me like you have been receiving good care and they are being very thorough with you.  I am impressed actually.  What are your symptoms again (sorry I forget)...
Kind regards, Katie
Helpful - 0
Hi Katie,

My stage of melanoma is officially stage IIA, but the first path report showed the upper end of IB. Based on that, all these scans are not standard at MD ANderson (or most places). But I started having abdominal pains and headaches (probably stress). So at my appt in March, they did CT of chest/ab/pelvis and brain MRI. They found spots on my liver, lung and breast. Because of that, they've scanned me two more times since then, I have had 3 mammograms, 2 u/s and 1 biopsy of the breast. Nothing has grown or changed and the biopsy of the breast was normal. So right now they believe all these "spots" to be benign. As a matter of fact, I now get to wait 6 months for next check-up and will only do bloodwork and chest x-ray. I'm relieved that nothing seems concerning now. And I feel good it is true because I have had everything from scans, mri's, liver tests, colon, breast, ovaries, you name it. But it is also scary thinking about no scans to monitor for the disease. Your husband should check out www.mpip.org. It is a great online resource. How is he doing? I wish I could give you me email but I only have work email. Is there a way I can contact you so we don't fill up the ovca board with melanoma talk?
Helpful - 0
My husband is doing OK so far, thank you, and yes I would be pleased to talk with you more about it, and your stuff.  Did you know that some of us set up an MSN site?  It's lots of fun and you are welcome to join .... might take a bit of fiddling but if I managed it, anyone can!

http://groups.msn.com/BulgeBattlingBattalionCysters/welcome.msnw?&pps=k

Incidentally, I have read about patients that have spots show up on scans (scares the c**p out of you I can well imagine) and sometimes they are not cause for concern...  
Cheers, Katie
Helpful - 0
and thank you for that website, it's really good isn't it?  
KT
Helpful - 0
I am Jamie on the other site, by the way. Hope to see you and your husband over there or on the MSN thing.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.