Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Just wondering...

A little bit of backround info...I was just diagnosed with a 6.2cm complex cyst on my left ovary. Apparrently it's attached itself to my bowels and I have multi adhesions as well. I'm scheduled for a laparotomy on November 17.  After reading around on different post on this website, I'm wondering why my doctor didn't elect to go the birth control route first.  Why send me for surgery? Unless complex cyst won't go away with BC pills.  Can anyone help me?  I'm a little scared about having such a major procedure. Any advise is greatly appreciated!
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
108861 tn?1227246048
Age creeping up on you!  You crack me up Mel!  A US is the best imagin technique for cysts, they don't usually go beyond that unless they see certain things on the US.  My GYN was also confident mine was benign but was honest enough to admit nothing preop is 100%.  I'm 48 so My Dr. also did a couple CA125 bood tests and my results were like 6 (anything under about 65 is"in the green").  So when's your next appt?  Pre-op?  That didn't even involve my surgeon, just a GP to check the usual.
     So do you have a son or daughter?  I have one of each and my youngest, Caitlin, just started college this year so we are empty nesters! (I like it!  I admit it!)  She, my Son Chad, who is third year law enforcement, my almost DIA Angie and two others rent an old victorian.  I know I can count on Chad to watch over his sister so that's a big plus!  Hang tough Mel!  MV
Helpful - 0
Your absolutely correct, I do need to post more information
Helpful - 0
108861 tn?1227246048
Hi Mel,
    The Cysters are correct, the 5cm quote comes from years of statistics that show that once a cyst exceeds 5cm, it is time for a look-see.  Guessing your surgeon, knowing about the adhesions ahead of time, has elected the laparotomy over the less invasive laproscopy but ask none-the-less.  So what type of tests have you had?  US, CT, MRI or all of the above?  Adhesions are not always easy to detect and may have been diagnosed based on your symptoms.  Tell us more Mel, like how old you are, kids, etc, and we will help you with the questions for your Doc.  Is your Surgeon a GYN or a GYN/ONC?  I had surgery last year on Nov. 18th to remove two benign aliens.  No problems since.  And Mel, I have had three laparotomies over the years and popped back from each one in time.  Try not to worry!  When you do, come here!  MV
Helpful - 0
135691 tn?1271097123
I remember reading as well, that anything over 5cm usually requires surgery to be removed. The fact that it's a complex cyst as opposed to a simple cyst might be the reason for the laparotomy as well - your Dr probably wants to take a good look around and have access to fix what he needs to. With the adhesions to your bowels, I would think that your Dr probably wouldn't take the time to wait and see with BCP, as problems can develop pretty quickly with scar tissue. Good luck,
Becky
Helpful - 0
don't know if this will help, but one of my doctors told me that anything over 5cm usually doesn't go away on its own. Not sure how bc pills play into it however.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.