Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Ovarian Cancer?

Hello,

I've been having ovarian cancer symptoms for some time now....severe bloating, indigestion, severe fatigue, abnormal periods, etc.

My doctor ordered a transvaginal sonogram and he reported to me that the findings could be anything from a normal cyst to cancer.  I am very confused about it all.

I had an appointment for a second opinion yesterday, but the office called and cancelled because the doctor has the flu.  *sigh*  So I have to wait two more weeks to get his opinion.

In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone knew what my radiology report might mean.  It said:

"There is a 1 cm hypoechoic area within the right ovary.  There is a small amount of free fluid in the pelvis."

And the conclusion was:

1. Retroverted uterus (I already knew this)
2.  Small amount of free fluid in the pelvis.
3. 1 cm complex area in the right ovary may represent hemorrhagic cyst or small focus of endometriosis."

I was not bloated when I had this sonogram done, unfortunately.  Now, I feel like I could explode and I'm wondering if there would be more free fluid found if it were to be performed now.

Is free fluid a normal finding with normal bloating?

And why would my doctor suspect a possibility of cancer with these findings?

Thank you so much for your help!  I've been very worried about this.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi there, I don't see why he would suspect cancer from that report either, but sometimes they just tell you worst case scenario.  They found what they called "tumors" on both of my ovaries, both as big as large tennis balls.  They found them via vaginal ultrasound.  I was surprised that during this day and age that they couldn't tell exactly what they were.  My doctor said we can guess but we never know exactly until we get them out during surgery.  They said they didn't think they were cancer but didn't know for sure.  (turns out they were benign endometriomas, caused by endometriosis which I never knew I had)  Anyway, my point is that sometimes you get scared, I know I did, when it is nothing really bad. I had all kinds of cancer symptoms also.  When I did a search of my symptoms ovarian cancer came up which is what made me find this web site and the ladies on here have been a blessing to me at a time when I needed it most.  Try to calm down, most ovarian cysts are benign 99%.  Do what you need to do to get it diagnosed but relax knowing that 99% are benign and most ovarian problems cause symptoms of ovca.  Hope this gives you some peace, Merytre
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much, Merytre!!!  I have been dying to get feedback and was so happy to see your message.  Your words have truly brought me some much needed comfort, and I will think on them as I wait these two weeks.

I'm glad all was okay with you!  :)
Helpful - 0
I posted you up above.....  :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.