Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

laparotomy with tummy tuck?

I'm not vain, I just have a rather unusual question. In talking to various people, and reading forums on the hyster sisters site, I have learned that some women have had their tummies tightened while having abdominal surgeries.  Has anyone here had this experience?  The way I see it, if I'm getting a 15 cm cyst removed, they may as well tighten up that incision too.
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Yup! I do feel like I'm in a zombie state, though I have the odd day of pure giddiness.  What's that anyways? Must be hormones!  I am seriously ecstaitc to get the surgery over with, I can't wait! Sounds stupid I know.

To everyone else, thanks for the comments. I guess I'll see how the consultation goes with the gyne/onc on the 6th.
Helpful - 0
ndc
I have said this all along - my tummy is a big mess after three large children and buckets of ice cream!!

So if I needed a laparotomy my question is could you have a tummy tuck after the event if you have already been cut across the bikini line for the lap?  I am hoping (as we all would) that I will end up with a laparoscopy but I think if I have to go down the other route perhaps I could look at a stomach with a scar but not the extra pouch and horrible bits.

Think it will depend on your surgeon - if they are comfortable doing that - my husband commented they may not feel confident tackling a tummy tuck if they are gynae but no harm asking.
Helpful - 0
The docs can definitely help make you tighter by removing old incisions and tightening it up a bit.... when I had my supracervical 4 years ago, my gyn actually sent me to a plastic surgeon to see if they could combine procedures to tighten me up a bit, but he said I really didnt need a tummy tuck, skin was already pretty tight, I just needed to lose a few pounds, so my gyn then just cleaned up the old incisions while in surgery from two earlier c-sects and tightened it for me, with no added expense, it was great! I would push for what they can do for you. I just had my onc/gyn do my laparotomy on August 7th, so I didnt get any extra help this time, but I know that it is possible to "make it better".
Helpful - 0
That's what I mean!  I've heard of several instances where the surgeon has said/done something like that.  Heck, I'd be happy with 2 "missing" inches off my stretched out belly!
Helpful - 0
106886 tn?1281291572
My girlfriend had her twins by C-section 20 years ago and at that time the doctor told her afterwards, "I hope you don't mind, but I gave you a little tummy tuck while I was sewing you up." My friend was elated. He took off two inches...or tucked it in...not sure how he did it, but although probably not what you think of when you think of a tummy tuck, she was happy he took a bit extra.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how things go for you.

Mary
Helpful - 0
I didn't get to do it, my GP told me that it can be very difficult to get the two doctors to accommodate each other's schedules and work together .. can we say "Prima Donna"??????  Meowwww!
Where I live, the wait for the plastic surgeons is really long.  Yes you have to pay for it.
I was more concerned about getting the mass removed from my ovary so I didn't persue it.
I would want to get that gyn problem attended to pronto, 15cm is a big cyst...
A few here have had the procedure done at the same time, not as many as you would think, hope they drop by....they all seemed very pleased with it...
Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Yes, absolutely, my surgery is scheduled for November 8th, I've been waiting 3 months for it!
Helpful - 0
I will be getting a total hysterectomy next week. I have a 9.3 cm ovarian cyst along with fibroids. So everything will be removed through abdominal hysterectomy. The surgeon will also be removing what they call the fat pad in the abdomen. Maybe this is what some are calling a tummy tuck. I just hope there is no signs of cancer when I have the surgery.
Helpful - 0
Yee gawds, I waited three months too, are you in Canada??? I thought that only happened here!  I slowly morphed into kind of a depressive slug while I waited, it was horrible.  You'd think I would have gotten revved up and cleaned or something, but, nope!
Helpful - 0
I have also seen that on the hyster sisters site.  I find it interesting.  I don't see anything wrong with it especially if they are opening you anyway.  It bothers me to see those people on the beverly hills plastic surgery shows going under anesthesia and complaining bitterly about the pain.  If they are opening you anyway, I dont see a problem with it. I guess there could be extra risks invovled that you would have to find out about.  Would you have to pay for it yourself?  I guess you would.  Keep us posted!!  Mery
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.