Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Neoplasm~What does it mean?

Good morning ladies!

Neoplasm, what does it mean? I have heard so many different things. My Doc. says it means new growth, that could be cancerous or not. Is that right? On my CT and US it said that ovarian neoplasm cannot me ruled out.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Yes, neoplasm means just that... new (neo) growth (plasm.)

There are a great number of things that can grow on/in/over/around the ovaries.   Often, the term neoplasm is used when the radiologist cannot differentiate whether the mass seen is simply a cyst or something actually growing on or from the ovary itself.   Most commonly, the report will state that a "neoplasm cannot be ruled out," as a way of the radiologist covering his or her, er, "rear" should something bad be found at surgery.
Helpful - 0
Neoplasm is definitely new growth. I had the same thing written on my report and I had a benign cystadenoma. Some docs (uninformed) tell you it could mean cancer but in this case, with the ovaries, tubes, uterus, neoplasm most likely means benign. Follow-through is key.

L.
Helpful - 0
119341 tn?1232563757
Just keep in mind 99% of all ovarian cysts, masses, tumors are benign. There are alot of women on this forum that have had there scans read that way too and their's were benign. They should be around soon.

Paula
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.