Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Surgery and Tumor markers ordered today. Large cyst

Hi,
I have been here once before when my cyst measured 12cm. Finally got in to see my OBGYN today and it is now over 14cms (measured closer to bottom as OB could already see it needed to come out and the rest wasn't fitting on the screen at the dimensions he had it on, been about 6weeks since last scan). The cyst appears to be a simple cyst so he said he doubts it's cancerous, but given the sheer size of it and that it's still growing he has also ordered blood tests to check for tumor markers.
He said he is likely taking my left ovary and tube as well.
What are the chances he will be succesful with laparoscopy with a cyst of this size. He did say he'd try but may need to open my up properly.
Also has anyone had a cancerous simple cyst? I am assuming I have nothing to worry about since it's simple, is that correct?

Quite scared right now even though there is probably nothing to worry about!

What sort of recovery do you all think i'll be looking at as I have a 16wk old to look after as well as an active 2yr old and 4yr old!
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I feel your panic..i just had surgery to remove a 21cm dermoid and another 10cm dermoid one on each ovary so they removed one ovary and 60% of the there because im only 21...both came back negative for cancer i know im not answering your question but it feels good to know other people are going threw the same thing...i had a great surgeon and i feel 110% better now as they were making me very sick... i was cut from my bellybutton to my pubic bone because it is important to remove them whole incase of cancer and infection from spilled liquid i recoverd in 4 weeks and only had a coujple minor incedinces.....it wasnt a huge amunt of pain...so dont worry i was very scared too...good luck i will pray for you
Helpful - 0
Thanks ladies.
Oh and from what I saw there was a shaddow down the middle of it, what would that be, never saw that before, last time it was completely black!
Helpful - 0
i had that too wich they originally called a septation but turned out to be another dermoid cyst (hair teeth...ect.
)
Helpful - 0
Hi laney! I don't have answers to all your questions, but just want to wish you best of luck! I will also follow the answers as I too have a simple cyst, much smaller than yours, but it has now been with me for 18 months. soem of your questioons have had me wondering too. All tne best!
Helpful - 0
Probably benign due to being simple but needs surgical removal due to sheer size and the damage it could inflict on your pelvic organs. That's my input. I wouldn't panic.

L.
Helpful - 0
I agree with miss missie and everyone.  Same thing happened to me and I was scared and it wasn't cancer, I had the same surgery , belly button to pubic in case it was cancer.  Everything came out fine in the end.  Don't always assume the worst like I did and don't do too much googling, it will scare you for no reason.  Merytre
Helpful - 0
AMEN to the idea of no googling. I have googled so much that it made me vomint...becaue it produced so much fear.
We are here for you. Let us know how it goes and if you need pain support you can always write and we will do our best to brainstorm.
Dechen
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.