Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Total Hyster Vrs Just Ovary Removed

Can anyone tell me why my doctor would want to do total hyster instaed of just removing ovary.I have a 3 inch sepatated cyst that she has been watching for 6 months.Size has not changed but sepatation seems to be growing. I had a D&C in August for ployps and post menopause bleeding.I just don't know if I want to go through the whole hyster thing. Isn't that a lot more pain & recovery. She says since I have had a few problems already with a thick unterus and bleeding so she thinks hyster would be the way to go. That it will be easier at 55 than 60 or 65.And just what is recovery time for ovary only?
Thanks
Linda
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
108861 tn?1227246048
Honestly Linda, had I been post menopausal I would have not had a second thought about having the works removed.  I anguished over the very same decison and kept my remaining ovary and uterus in favor of natural meopause, no picnic there as I have been told, but knew it was a gambal.  Wondering why given the opportunity to forego future worry and having the major functions accomplished with these same organs you don't opt for removal?  Can't really say as we are all different given the choice.  But thank God for the choice!  MV
Helpful - 0
Hi Linda! Obviously this must be your choice and we are all different. I am 57, had two cysts. One disappeared and I am now left with one, which seems pretty persistent, but no septations that I am aware of. I have also had bleeds and did have a hysteroscopy/D&C September 05 to check it out , since when I have had no further bleeds. Personally I wouldn't be happy to have a full hysterectomy unless there is a specific reason, but then that's me. I just don't personally like more intervention than needed.I believe (but don't yet know) that I may need to remove my persistent cyst (just over 5cm), but I must admit I assume that it will be laproscopically. I'll find out after my next consult in Nov.

All the best with you decisions!It's never easy, is it.Thinking of you!

Tanya
Helpful - 0
Hi again! Just read your previous entry further down. Just a quick comment - hae you not seen a gynaelogical oncologist? They are normally the best to evauate anything like this. and by the way, if you feel the hyster is right for you, then go for it!
Helpful - 0
158061 tn?1202678326
my sister recently had a hysterectomy and removal of both ovaries, primarily because of my diagnosis of OVCA.  It was done through a laproscope and she was out of the hospital in 23 hours, and did great.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.