Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Rising CA125?

Hi
I'm new here, but you all really seem really helpful and friendly so I thought I'd ask if anyone could tell me some more.
I'm 47, pre (probably peri!) menopausal, what looks like a simple cyst about 6 - 7 cm on right side (but as always answers are pretty vague), so I'm booked in for surgery next week.  CA125 has gone up from 68 to 81 in a month.  I know that a rising level isn't good but at what rate of increase does it become cause for concern?  I've tried to look this up but get lost in the maths!  And I do have cyst symtoms - all the usual!
Thanks for any help you can give me
Aydee
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
thanks for that. Yes i know how hard it is to get answers(i do not even know what my full ultrasound scan report said),i also am moderate risk but with family history of both ovarian and breast cancer.Thanks for replying to me and good luck.Dawn
Helpful - 0
Hi and again thanks for the replies.
dalip, the docs haven't actually said that my risk is 'moderate' - being in the UK, you've probably found, like me, how hard it is to get answers! google Ovarian cancer risk of malignancy index.  My US score is 0 (or 1 for simple cyst?),multiplied by CA125 81, by preMenopausal status of 1, gives a risk factor of 81.  According to the RCOG, between 25 - 250 is a moderate risk (but some websites say 200 not 250).  I take painkillers when I need to but hate taking them.  As the pain is a pretty constant dull ache I've learnt to live with it!  It's on the right side, from my back round under my right rib cage and  down all that side. If I press on the ovary area it is very painful.
sk2006A, thanks for the details on that thread, it was very helpful.
Again, thanks for all the good wishes and help
Aydee xx
Helpful - 0
Hi Helmar,
Thanks for making me laugh - 'gut feeling' - that's it exactly!!
I did have to push my GP to refer me, he shrugged and said 'it's probably IBS' as he did the letter to the hospital. Seeing those blood results makes me realise that something (and I'm not assuming its cancer) needs sorting out.  But then it was my husband had to push me to go to the docs at all - I just thought all the bloating and constant alternating diarrhoea / constipation (sorry if TMI) were 'my age'.
Will keep posting and let you all know how things go.
And thanks again for the support!
Aydee x
Helpful - 0
Hi aydee...re your rising CA.125. It doesn't necessarily mean cancer, but it's a good idea to go for a Ct scan as well. I presently have a CA.125 of 1600+... now, a lot of ladies would be nearly falling in a heap over that... but my Oncol. tells me that sometimes we place too much importance on the numbers, and it doesn't necessary indicate very much active disease. I don't have any pain, my appetite is excellent, and I lead a very active lifestyle. I've just started Topotecan this week, to try and reduce the CA.125 so it doesn't go too much higher.
Just want to say... act on your 'gut feeling' about this, as I went back and forth for almost 9 months, complaining of bloatedness, and bowel changes, and kept getting told I had irritable bowel, gastro.. when finally I couldn't keep down a cup of coffee... was sent for a Ct scan and told I had Stage 3-4C ovca. That was just on 3 years ago... so I'm still hanging in.
Push your Doctors for answers, and don't leave it for them to decide. The cancer will march on, so don't let them do to you, what they did to me. Insist on a Ct. scan a.s.a.p..
Wishing you all the best.. and stay in touch eh?    Helmar...
Helpful - 0
Hi
Thank you ever so much for the information and concern.
Anna, I had an idea I'd read here that it was something like doubling that was cause for concern, but I didn't know over what period? A 20% rise in 4 weeks seems like quite a lot but I just don't know.  If that rate continues, it may well double in a couple of months.
nyc lady, here in the UK its more a case of getting what you're given.  They triage you out according to a risk index and mine is 'moderate' so I won't see a GYN/ONC unless the results are bad.
Well hopefully I'll know more in a couple of weeks after the surgery.  And I hope to goodness that it helps with the pain etc!
Thanks again for your help and kind comments
Aydee
Helpful - 0
hi
I am from the uk as well and know full well what you mean when you say you get what you are given. I too have "simple cysts" on both ovaries and i also am 47. My CA125 was normal. my consultant thinks i am getting too much pain for it to be the cysts and thinks it may be a bowel issue!!!. I have to wait for a further scan with a view to a lap if the cysts are still present. I have indicated i want my ovaries removed as my mother died from ovc and i have a history of breast cancer in the family. How did they work out you were moderate risk?. What do you do for the pain?. Where and what sort of pain do you get?.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.Dawn
Helpful - 0
143952 tn?1237864541
Hi - if you look through the old threads under ovarian cancer anwers forum, dr. goodwin has a thread from around july 14 titled "understanding ca125 fluctuations" that might help.  good luck :)
Helpful - 0
155056 tn?1333638688
A CA125 test is not always accurate in pre-menopausal women and is often used as a tumor marker in women that have already been diagnosised with Ovarian Cancer.  

If you read further down, Tybear (Becky) had a low or close to normal CA125 and was still diagnosised with Stage 3C and I have other friends who's CA125s are in the thousands.  

There are lots of reasons for false positives, a chest cold can throw off the numbers.  And most ovarian cysts are benign.

That being said, I too would be concerned about a rise in my CA125 with numbers that are above normal....I am not saying that it is cancer, I am concerned when my blood pressure rises, something is throwing the number off.

I would suggest seeing a GYN/ONC, and not because I think it is cancer, but, if by the small chance that it is, you only have one shot at getting it right.  A GYN/ONC has several years more medical training then a OB/GYN, with most of the studies being gynocolocial issues and not child birth.

If unfortunately, you are in the low precentage of women that are dx'd with OvCa, we are all here for you to help and support you in anyway we can.

Good luck and keep in touch.
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
If it looks to be a simple cyst thats good news. The pattern of elevation that is most concerning is when it doubles.

Anna x
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.