Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
120574 tn?1240767840

Turmeric herb

Has anyone been taking Turmeric or Ginger?
15 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Ladies please note that the original posting was from 2006, once again someone tagged onto an old post.

That said,  Conners is absolutely right, before we take anything new, we must check with our oncologists. Especially regarding herbs or spices.

We read, or hear  something and think we're helping ourselves, but we may actually be doing ourselves harm.

Jane
Helpful - 0
I know we are all looking for miracle cures, but if there was one out there, our Dr.s would know. Please talk to your Dr. before you try anything. MD Anderson and the Journal of American Medicine confirms that Tumeric does not work and may cause your chemo not to work. Ginger can be used for Vomiting, but not if you are on Coumadin.  I spoke to my Dr.s about this and do not want to submit incorrect information as to what I remember, so please just check with the Dr. you are paying $300 or more a visit to cure you rather than strangers on the Internet than may mean well, but are not medically qualified. Antioxidants are not to be used while on chemo.
Helpful - 0
Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I have not been diagnosed with anything yet, but just had an abnormal pap smear, an ultrasound (have not received results yet), have the distended belly (dr. says it's full of fluid?), rapid weight gain (20lb in 2 months), abnormal bleeding...I'm a bit paranoid now...

I have always been into Eastern Herbs and herbal remedies (I have been a vegetarian or vegan my entire adult life) so I just increased my turmeric consumption. After reading here, I will increase ginger as well.

I am now sprinkling turmeric powder on everything! It takes great on toast with Earth Balance. I just sprinkled it in my macaroni and cheese dish (brown rice noodles for macaroni, grilled broccoli, soy cheese/soy milk for "cheese" sauce). It very good sprinkled on my organic, cage-free egg in the morning also.

For ginger: I peel and slice ginger root into hot water that boiled, let sit for 20 minutes covered, add lemon and a little bit of agave or raw sugar. Drink warm or with ice.

Ginger root is so easy to use if you peel it, put into plastic baggie, and freeze. Take out and slice chuck off as needed. It's easier to deal with, peeled and frozen.  

Someone on this forum mentioned Ginger Wine. Please share with me, if you can, the recipe. Sounds so good!

May you all be healthy and prosper!

Lynn

Helpful - 0
167426 tn?1254086235
Chinese scientists say having ginger in the regular diet not only helps treat ovarian cancer but also prevents from its development.

According to the study published in the BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine journal, ginger has antioxidant and cancer-fighting properties.

Scientists believe gingerol extracted from the spicy root has also anti-inflammatory effects which helps regulate the immune system particularly in the time of infection.

Findings show ginger can inhibit the growth and modulate the secretion of angiogenic factors which are known to be responsible for shifting a dormant tumor to a malignant state.

The ginger also inhibits several compounds such as vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and interleukin-8 (IL-8) which are linked with cancer growth.

Scientists claim eating a healthy diet rich in fruit and vegetables, regular exercise and avoiding stress are other effective factors in preventing ovarian cancer.

Helpful - 0
167426 tn?1254086235
I did some research for Leslee and found that both Ginger and Tumeric are great anti oxidents,  some studies have been done on both of these spices in labs, with good results, Leslee drinks the ginger tea, and uses tumeric in her cooking, both spices have been used for many years in the Asian countrys. We used ginger tea in the OB field for morning sickness and it is also used widely for motion sickness by airlines.  I believe that both can be bought at health food stores in capsule form, but we just use the raw spices and Leslee buys ginger root and boils it up for her tea.  She has been doing so well now  for 6 months, ever since the flare up of the Doxil side effects, that she will change nothing in her diet.  She is on a diet now to lose that chemo weight, the lost pounds are definitly helping her joint pain. Counts coming down, lesions getting smaller,  and feeling just great.  She swares by the cranberry capsules and juice also.
Helpful - 0
176401 tn?1339369307
hi!  How did you determine the correct amount to take?  I have been trying to find this and can't.  Good luck on your check up.
Helpful - 0
400350 tn?1201711682
I always heard about  Turmeric, is it really that good?
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
The ginger I take is an herbal supplement that comes in pill form.  It is 550 mg capsules I get at the pharmacy.  It is primarily used to help calm stomach upset, so if you don't see it in the herbal supplement area, try near the Pepto or Immodoium.  

I am definitely going to do some research tonight on the turmeric.  Boy, wouldn't it be wonderful if something scientific comes out of all this?

Gail
Helpful - 0
There is an interesting article on the BBC news website about the anti inflamatory effects of tumeric as well (for arthritis)and they also have archived articles on the ginger effect on ovarian tumours in mice. This is all really exciting stuff and I hope they put aside the issues with synthesising and just get the damn tablets out there (at an affordable price) for patient consumption.  For now its eat more curries with home made ginger wine while watching the calories of course!!
Helpful - 0
120574 tn?1240767840
Pet Scan will be in first week of Dec.  I asked the Dr if this was OK,  wanted a vacation first.  My CA125 started at 355 before surgery,  and than started to go down with the chemo.  

Turmeric has been tested in mice for breast cancer and other types,  put in google,  turmeric and ovarian cancer.  

Also for ginger info put in google ginger and ovarian cancer.

Gail,  good luck with the CA results,  keep me posted.  Amy :)
Helpful - 0
Please can someone tell me how/what ginger you take also interested in the answer regarding turmeric - thanks in anticipation:)
Helpful - 0
Hi, I'm also interested in what form the ginger and turmeric is in.Is it a pill?
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi Amy.  I'm doing pretty well.  I have my 2 month check-up tomorrow, so I always get a little nervous when it's time for that.  It takes a week to get my CA125 results back, which is ridiculous.  But all I can do is go with the flow and try not to worry too much about it.  When are you going in for your PET scan?  Was your CA125 initially high when you were diagnosed?  I don't think I am familiar with the turmeric supplement.  What is it supposed to do?  Is it in pill form?  

Gail
Helpful - 0
120574 tn?1240767840
Hi Gail,   Been Ok,  still taking the ginger also, but started taking turmeric as well.   CA125 down to 3.6 but cat scan shows a few nodules.   No symptoms,  Dr. is thinking of sending me for a Pet Scan to see if the nodules are active?  They are quite small, but stopped chemo back in April of this year.  So this is the restaging of the OVCA 3.

How are you doing?  

Amy
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
I take ginger.  The research hasn't shown whether the OvCa cells are killed by direct application of ginger, or if the results are the same with taking the supplement.  But I figure it can't hurt to at least try.  I'm taking green tea for the same reasons.  Have you been taking herbs?  How are you feeling lately.  Missed seeing your posts.

Gail :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.