Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
167664 tn?1203972620

Ovary tumor, why do an MRI?

Last week I had gone in for an ultrasound because of what I thought was bladder problems.  They ended up doing a TVultrasound.  I have a tumor on my right ovary, they said it definately had flow.  The radiologist recommended an MRI.  My Dr. said no need, we will have to biopsy it anyway.  I was referred to a gyno and he did a pelvic and then said we will do the MRI first and he also sent me for bloodwork including the CA125. What has me really bothered is that the gyno went overboard telling me all the things that it might be (that it may be nothing) including that it could have just been stool that showed up on the ultrasound.  Now, I'm no Dr. but it doesn't make sense that the ultrasound tech and the radiologist don't know the differece between a tumor with flow, and stool.  Does this make any sense to anyone?  I guess I'm not feeling to trusting of a Dr. that tells me that despite all my syptoms and the tumor, that it could be stool and the symptoms probably don't have anything to do with the tumor anyway.  Any thoughts?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I thinks sometimes doctors go overboard with all case scenarios and then it really throws us for a loop.  Like we don't have enough to worry about, right?  Anyway, yes a biopsy is the only way to determine officially what it is, however, that being said an MRI can also give the surgeon a better picture of what he's dealing with as well.  It's quite common and I think most of us have had a CT, MRI or both after the ultrasound  and prior to surgery.  It sounds like he's on the right path.  However, if you are not comfortable with this doctor, you should seek a second opinion.

Best of Luck
Helpful - 0
167664 tn?1203972620
Thanks for your input.  Just to know that the MRI or CT is common makes me feel better.
Helpful - 0
158061 tn?1202678326
Wait for all your test results but If anything comes back at all suspicious of cancer, you want a gyn-oncologist.
Helpful - 0
jUST WONDERING...if your ca125 was normal and your ct scan was ok and you're ultrasound showed a complex cyst(being called hemmoragic or endometrioma) should you insist on a oncologist or go with the Gyno surgeon?
Mary
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.