Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

BC pills for ovarian cyst...?

Hi there - I have had low back pain and vaginal spotting x two weeks.  I thought it might be kidney stones (I have three small stones in my right kidney and passed a large stone a few months back).  I went to urologist, he said not related to kidney stones.  He thought I needed an ultrasound - he thought it may be ovarian in nature.  I saw my OB today and he did a transvaginal ultrasound and found a 2.5 cm cyst on my left ovary.  He said this is probably causing my pain and bleeding.  He also did a biopsy of my uterine lining (will get results at end of week - he thinks results should be normal).  He prescribed birth control pills for treatment of the cyst.  I go back after one cycle on the pill to get another ultrasound.  He thinks the cyst should reduce in size or go away.  I've never heard of this.  Has anyone received the same treatment?  I have a maternal aunt who died of ovarian cancer recently. I can't help but be a little anxious.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Birth control is always the first thing doctors will try with you to help reduce your cyst or make it go away entirely. So yes, ub some women this is the miracle cure for cysts. If your doctor had any reason to worry about your cyst he would have told you you have a complex cyst which would need to be watched a little more closely. Yours sounds like a regular fluid filled cyst which can be painful but is nothing to worry about. Hopefully your b.c will help you with your troubles.
Helpful - 0
Same exact thing for me.  I had a 4 cm simple cyst (fluid) I went on BC for it.  It didn't shrink though, but did finally burst (OUCH!)  The complex cyst I had was not treated this way.  We watched it and then it and the entire ovary was removed.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.