Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Surgery in 4 days...?'s

I have surgery on Monday and am wondering if anyone knows how long I might be in for and general recovery times for laparoscopy (don't know if it will be this but am hoping). There is plenty on the net about laparotomy recovery, but not laparoscopy. I will also be having left tube and ovary removed as well as 14cm cyst.
Hubby hasn't put in for time off work, and i'm wondering if he should. He has the Monday off so that isn't a problem, but I am wondering about after cause I have 5 kids, 3 of them below school age so he will have to look after them while i'm in hospital and I will maybe need him home when I come out if I need longer to recover.
TIA
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You need to take care yourself! Your body need to heal inside. Couple of times I overworked myself, because I'm not a couch potato person... My dog was very upset too, she wasn't able to walk daily... I think my hubby and my son was supprised, they never find me on the couch or in the bed...
We not getting older, we just getting slower...
Helpful - 0
I agree for your husband to at least take a week off. I had went in for a 12 cm cyst (laparotomy) to be removed and ended up getting a full hysterectomy. Since my recovery time in the hospital was for a few days (I went in on Tues 8/22 and came home that Sat)my husband just got someone to help with the kids for some of those days and didn't take full days off work. He saved them for when I actually got discharged. We have 2 toddlers so my sister watched them during the day. I couldn't pick them up for 6 weeks (nothing over 5lbs). I was up and about in the hospital but walking very slow. I did as little as possible including the stairs (we have a split level so this was tough). It was hard just picking things up off the floor at first. The whole surgery/incision part wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I am shocked at how the body recovers being just over 2 mos post op. You'll definitely need help though. I found as another woman posted in the past that just all the visitors and stimulation of my kids talking or playing about was exhausting and I wasn't even moving! You'll do great! Good luck to you! It'll all be over soon :)
Helpful - 0
Hey, I just had my surgery on the 23rd of October and also had a cyst and my tube removed but not my ovary. Yes, definately tell your husband to take time off....I would even suggest the whole week. There is no way you will be able to recover and watch over 5 children......you won't be able to lift anything for the first week. It took me a week before I could stand up and I have been in and out of the e.r. until just two days ago. So I would highly suggest being prepared and taking your time to recover........
Helpful - 0
167426 tn?1254086235
You gals need to pamper yourselves as much as possible.  Trying to get back to "normal" too quick, many times sets you back.  Use anyone that will come in and help,  Moms, grammas, sisters, aunts  or neighbors. The surgery that is done now with a scope is less evasive but the interior still has to heal in much the same way. My daughters church people took turns bringing in food. Neighbors took the younger kids out as much as possible. use paper plates and stuff you can throw away.  A relapse in your recovery will take longer to recover from. Kick back, take it easy and  let that body heal. Insurance companies are the ones that are hurrying us all through medical procedures now. If your Doctor and the insurance  you carry will let you stay a couple extra days in the hospital,  that would really help.  Good Luck
Helpful - 0
I had a laproscopy, and was in for surgery at 10am, and leaving for home about 4:30pm. You won't be able to drive for a little while, especially if you have to do any backing because twisting is near impossible. I was pretty sore and sleepy for the rest of the first day, but was up and moving (slowly) for the next 2-3 days. Not too bad, you just can't do stairs for a few days.
Hang in there, and keep us posted when you get to the recovery side!
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.