Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

If you are platinum refractory

does that mean you can never use the platinum drugs anymore?

My mom just started Doxil and Im praying it works.  But if it doesnt can she gotoGemzar and Cisplatin?  Or that definitely wont help since she is platinum refractory (recurred immediately in her case)?

After Doxil is Topetecan...after a certain amount of time can they go back to taxol/carboplatin?  If not then what comes after Topotecan?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thankyou blossom.
Sue xx
Helpful - 0
Sue I'm sorry to read about your recurrence.  I hope this cycle of chemo gets a far better response.  You have such a lovely, positive attitude.  

Take care, Ursula
Helpful - 0
Hi NY,
I'm platinum resistant.Had Carbo/Taxol from January-August 05,cancer was back by December.Started Doxil in January,CA125 started dropping, then after my third cycle started rising.I had 5 cycles altogether just in case it was a blip.I found Doxil very easy after the carbo/taxol.My biggest problem was my bloods-as usual-and blistering on my feet.Had a break from chemo then from June until now.I've just had a ct scan and I have two more tumours now in my abdomen.I'm about to start Gemcitabine and Treosulfan.I have been given the option of Topotecan but my platelets aren't good,and my Onc has told me its hard going on the bloods,so I'm going to give that one a miss.She won't put me back on a platinum drug because the cancer I have is resistant to it,although I figure if this Gemcitabine doesn't work,she might just let me have another go with Carboplatin.I think theres no right or wrong drug,we all seem to react differently to different drugs and your Moms Onc will see how she copes with each one and offer the best one she can.I'm not giving up hope and don't you,theres a shopping list of drugs out there.Just stay strong for your Mom and enjoy every day shes here,I do.
Loads of love
Sue x
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.