Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

question about drugs

I hear alot of people talk about Doxil and Platinum, what are they used for?  My Dr has not talked to me yet since he found out about my cysts, I have a aconfrence with him on 11-14-06 and all my pre op. I had my first surgery in 1992 but left both of my ovires I had pre cancer cells that was the reason to remove my ut; now I have 4 cysts 9cm; and 3 -under 3cm just wondering if th drugs might come up when I talk to him, I guess I just want to be prepared for anything.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
cisplatinum is very harsh if you can avoid it do myself and three other people in my family have/had olvarin cancer. and anything to do with the word platinum try to stay away from it's the worst feeling ever. I'd rather be dead then do that treatment again. My mother had cancer three times and the last time was nothing they said just a few treatments of cisplatinum and she'd be fine, well she got so sick from it that she droped sixty pounds in a few months and died beacause she couldn't keep anything down even on a feeding tube. But that just might be my family, just becareful and reseach everyting like your doing if comes to that and I pray to God it doesn't for you.
Helpful - 0
158061 tn?1202678326
The drugs are used to treat ovarian cancer.  The main drugs used are a platinum drug (either carboplatinum or cisplatinum) the second drug is Placlitaxel (Taxol).  They are considered the standard first line drugs, Doxil is a drug used if the person becomes resisent to the other drugs, or is not responding.  

If this is your pre-op, the discussion is probably not going to be about chemotherapy, but more what they will be doing during the surgery.  They may tell you what they suspect and what they do if it is cancer.  If they find cancer, it is staged at during surgery.  Is your doctor a regular GYN?  If he suspects cancer and he/she does not suggest a referral to a GYN oncologist you need to ask for one.

Good luck, the drugs come after the definiative diagnosis, of cancer, take one step at a time.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.