Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Multiple large cysts and dermoid on one ovary - cancer?

Hi ladies,

I've been scouring the web but have found little about my particular predicament - maybe someone here can? I'm pretty terrified right now.

I'm 25 years old and I've been on the Pill (Junel) for 22 months. I've been gassy and more crampy than usual over the past 3 months, but in October I developed sharp stabbing pains in my right pelvic region that persisted for 2 weeks, along with general pelvic pain and backaches.

When I went in for my ultrasound yesterday, it turns out that my right ovary and uterus are fine, but they are shoved over to the right to make room for my left ovary. The left ovary has at least 4 cysts over 3 cm, the largest of which is round and about 5.5 cm across. You can barely see the ovary itself. I also have a dermoid cyst underneath the ovary. The left ovary itself is over 10 centimeters long and is "the volume of a Coke can". My GP told me we'd probably need to remove the whole ovary and referred me to a ob/gyn who I am seeing tomorrow.

My pain and discomfort have been steadily increasing, and since I've read so little about multiple cysts like this I'm terrified it could be cancer. Have any of you heard of a case like this before?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Well, I figured I'd post and let folks know that I did end up having my laparotomy on the 17th. I spent about 48 hours in the hospital and am now recovering at home (11 days post-op now.)

They managed to remove the whole grapefruit-sized mass intact (complex dermoid and other solid cystic masses) and my doctor gave me a large color photo as a souvenir. 4 inches by 3.5 inches! It took until yesterday to get the biopsy results, but thankfully the cysts turned out to be benign.

My recovery's going relatively well - the pain meds have me quite constipated but I'm going off of them soon (on Vicodin now, was on Percoset.) I can go up and down stairs now but I get a little lightheaded if I move too quickly or sit in a bad position. I have some residual soreness in the surgical area along with occasional prickly or stabbing pains but they're pretty rare.

I was really scared about the surgery but my doctor/surgeon turned out to be really good and I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to have this dealt with so quickly. If anyone needs a referral in the Seattle/Eastside area let me know, and good luck with your own battles!
Helpful - 0
Well, I figured I'd post and let folks know that I did end up having my laparotomy on the 17th. I spent about 48 hours in the hospital and am now recovering at home (11 days post-op now.)

They managed to remove the whole grapefruit-sized mass intact (complex dermoid and other solid cystic masses) and my doctor gave me a large color photo as a souvenir. 4 inches by 3.5 inches! It took until yesterday to get the biopsy results, but thankfully the cysts turned out to be benign.

My recovery's going relatively well - the pain meds have me quite constipated but I'm going off of them soon (on Vicodin now, was on Percoset.) I can go up and down stairs now but I get a little lightheaded if I move too quickly or sit in a bad position. I have some residual soreness in the surgical area along with occasional prickly or stabbing pains but they're pretty rare.

I was really scared about the surgery but my doctor/surgeon turned out to be really good and I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to have this dealt with so quickly. If anyone needs a referral in the Seattle/Eastside area let me know, and good luck with your own battles!
Helpful - 0
hee hee hee.... the 'ovary that ate Manhattan'. Oh, that was funny! Keep that sense of humor!
It definately sounds like this is a surgical case... the size, plus the dermoid (which don't ever go away on their own) says it's probably better to remove it than just to remove the cysts and have a chance of them growing back. Sounds like maybe that ovary got stuck in 'release egg-mode' and never got through the whole process.
On the plus side, you will have completely normal hormones and fertility from just one healthy ovary, so no need to worry on that score!
Hang in there, and keep us posted, especially when you get into recovery!
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
Well, I just came back from the ob/gyn, and he said it was most definitely surgical and he's trying to get me booked for surgery this Friday. Laparoscopy is apparently not an option due to the size of the ovary that ate Manhattan, so it's going to be full abdominal surgery. He doesn't really think it's cancerous, but they'll of course run tests on the ovary (they'll probably just take the whole thing out.)

Thanks for the message and I'll post if anything changes. I'm scared about surgery, but it helps to know there are others here who have been through similar things. Good luck to all.
Helpful - 0
First of all you need to be referred to a gyn/oncologist.....not because it is cancer you are dealing with(chances are 99% it is not) but he is the one who is most qualified to deal with problems of any type growth in the female reproductive tract...no doubt....YOU HAVE ONLY ONE CHANCE TO GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.....make certain you have the right medical team fighting your battle with you....that way you will guarantee the best outcome and prognosis....don't be a bystander when it comes to your medical treatment or life....if you don't look out for you who will?
Please do stay in touch and be your own best advocate...stick up for yourself...we will help given the opportunity.
Peace.
dian
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.