Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Consultant called today

Update to all who have helped me over the last few weeks. My consultants secretary called me today to say results from v/u on monday where back,consultant had seen them and i am booked in for surgery next thursday(23rd),pre-op next wed. WOW. NOW SHOULD I BE WORRIED!. i THOUGHT THE CYSTS HAD GOTTON SMALLER.If thats the case why the op in such a hurry. Can not quite make up my mind whether to be relieved(get rid of the pain)or more worried because everything seems to be happening so fast.Anybody from the uk will tell you,we have to wait for ops unless they are emergancies.Do i sound ungrateful. I dont intend to be.I will update again after surgery if any of you are interested. In the mean time thank you all for giving me your time in answering all my questions. DAWN
GOD BLESS
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I did a wait-and-see for literally 10 months. Turned out benign HOWEVER the emotional toll the wait-and-see took is just immeasurable! How much have the cysts shrunk? I think they want them to be MUCH smaller before they will consider NOT doing surgery. Also, if you are in pain, they will cut.

L.
Helpful - 0
hi.Thanks for answering. The right side she said had collapsed right down to 2.?cm and looked like a follicle cyst. The left(where the pain is)was only a fraction smaller at 2cm but she did not say what type it was. He did say 4 wks ago that he expected them both to be gone.Also on both abdominal ultrasounds they saw the right one ok but the bowel was in the way  so had to do vaginal. The strange thing was. During the vaginal she said he would get results by friday. Then after she finished she said he would get results next day and i should hear from him by friday.So big question is did she see somthing or am i reading too much into all this?.You are from uk as well ar'nt you?. If you are you know this seems a little fast for 2 simple cysts which have shrunk since the last scan.Dawn
Helpful - 0
I'm from the US so the med system is different. You are probably reading too much into it, the cysts are quite small. I would say the reason the surgery is scheduled is that you are complaining of pain and they might be concerned about endometriosis making a mess. You are going to have a laparoscopy, right? It's possible they just had an opening or you've been bumped up to the front of the list due to pain. They might also be concerned that the cyst is in a position where it can twist the ovary, causing death of the ovary and much pain and possibly peritonitis. If you want my opinion, at 2cm the likelihood of cancer is very, very small, like not even on my radar small. It is much more likely to be a benign, pain-in-the-butt thing that just simply needs to go so it doesn't affect future fertility.

Linda
Helpful - 0
thanks i agree i am reading too much into it.But my mum died from oc at 52 and i had cervical cancer at 25 so no uterus,only ovaries left.Unfortunatly the NHS is in such a bad way that getting an op this quick is unheard of. Sorry i got you mixed up with one of the other posters, so thought you were from uk.Thanks for the input. Helps to get things into perspective!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.