Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Nicroderm Patch for Doxil Side Effects

Well this is a werid one.  I went to Doctor yesterday and also had my fourth round of Doxil.  I now a lot of the side effects of this drug.  Blistering and Bunions on feet, Hands, Real bad mouth Sores and blisters and rash on skin that doesn't itch.
My doctor asked my if I wanted to try something that is fairly new but said was getting a lot of good results.  You wear a Nicoderm Quit Smoking patch for 3 days before chemo and 3 days after Chemo.  He says that it has helped a lot of people with Doxil side effects.  I was wonder in anyone has heard of this.
I purchased the patches yesterday.  There are 3 strenghts, 7mg,
14mg and 21mg.  I started with 7mg.  I placed the patch on about 4:00 p.m.  Last night about 9:00 p. m. I developed severe
stomach cramps and a little nausea.  I decided to remove the patch about 9:00 p.m.  I am will try again today.  Of course I have no way of knowing whether it was the patch or the Chemo.
Last treatment with Doxil did the same thing, but not quite as bad on the 3rd day.  Just wondering.  I would love to ask the doctor, but can't get in with question.  I want to be able to continue with Doxil as it seems to be working so far.

Best wished to all,
plady
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear Plady:

Sorry to hear about your side effects. I was waiting that someone will answer you. But Doxil was very kind to my wife except the low WBC. And they have to reduce the dose - probably the reason why she was not put in complete remission although our onc shld have given her Neupogen immediately instead of lowering the dose.

I don't suggest that you lower down the dose unless it is really necessary. So if you can tolerate the side effects then hopefully it can clear you out.

All the best,
Jatoo
Helpful - 0
Dear Jatoo:

Thank you for your reply.  My doctor put me on a high dose because ca125 went up when I first started the Doxil.  He still wants to continue with this dose.  My WBC hasn't gone down yet at all and it did with all my other drugs.  Isn't that funny, just the opposite of your wife.  I am feeling much better yesterday and today.  My side effects aren't as bad.  I had them the worse on week 3 after chemo, so we will see how the patch works.  He gave what they call a triple rinse for the mouth sores and told me to just use it everyday.  It has really helped.  Best to you and your wife, and I always look forward to your posts, because you are so on top of everything and that's just a great help.  Hope you and your wife have a Happy Thanksgiving.  We all have a lot to be grateful for and I give thanks everyday.

plady
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.