Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Avastin

Is avastin approved for ovarian cancer?  If not, how come so many people are on it? Does insurance pay for it?
Thanks!
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
135691 tn?1271097123
Interesting to hear. I just signed up for a clinical trial at Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto that is specifically for women who were diagnosed stage 3 or 4 and are having a recurrence. It has something to do with angiogenisis(?). Because I've been recieving my treatments at another hospital, I'm not sure if they will let me participate, but they do want to speak with me - I hope something comes of it.
Becky
Helpful - 0
Dear Unmai:

The clinical trial phase II was in Cedar Sinai - Los angeles so maybe they are accepting phase III for free.

Jatoo
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the replies.  Our oncologist just told me that avastin is not approved for ovarian cancer and that we cannot get it unless being on a clinical trial.  Is this true? Please help me by letting me know how to get this medicine.  Does insurance cover it?
Thanks and believing god's best for each of us each day!
Helpful - 0
Hi Unmai, you finally got your response from Dr. Goodman. Thanks for I learned a lot.

In the 41st annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology in Florida last May 14-17, 2005 a report on the phase 2 clinical trial of Avastin, an anti-angiogeneses monoclonal antibody that targets and blocks the function of vascular endothelial growth factor, was able to shrink ovarian tumors and slow the progression of the disease in women (47% experienced no disease progression and 59% had stable disease) with recurrent ovarian cancer when it was combined with low dose chemotheraphy containing oral cyclophospahmide ( e.g Cytoxan).

Anything that would give us time to recover and allow time for old chemo drugs to work again is remarkable. I hope this helps you make a good decision for you mom.

Jatoo
Helpful - 0
155056 tn?1333638688
From what I understand it used for breast cancer...similar to tamoxifin.  There are many women with OvCa that are on one of these two drugs.  I know a 7 year survivor with numerous recurrences, but, remains stable and has been on it for a few years.
Helpful - 0
167426 tn?1254086235
as far as I can see it is being used in Lung and Colon cancers  it has some really bad side affects.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.