Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

surgery tues in honlulu continued.........

ANYBODY HEAR FROM URBAN GAL YET!!!  imagine shes still probably not up tp par yet.  SURE NEED SOME REASSURANCE FROM SOMEBODY WHO HAS BEEN WHERE I AM.......COMPLEX.....THYE DONT LIKE THOSE KIND OF CYSTS I COULD TELL BY THE RADIOLOGISTS ACTIONS.  AGAIN I CANT EVEN TAKE A DEEP BREATH, ITS STARTING ALL OVER....WHAT ARE MY CHANCES ITS ALL OKAY!!!!!!!  anyway going for the WHOLE DEAL.....ITS A NO BRAINER FOR ME.
KATHY IN MAUI

MONTIE - HOW DID YO MAKE OUT - BETTER THAN ME I HOPE.

13 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Toadster, sorry for the scary results.  i had a complex cyst too, got all the concerned looks and grave tones from 3 different gyn oncologists.  the 4th was more encouraging & he was right.  it was cancer, but the very earliest stage (1a)and it was completely contained - no spread.  They aren't even recommending that I do chemo. I get nervous telling people that (who knew i was superstitious!), but i hope that it might be encouraging.   i know it might be hard, but please try not to panic.  You were smart to find a good doctor.  good luck with your surgery & please know you are not alone in this.
Helpful - 0
HI THAKSSSSSSS    WHY DONT THEY JUST OME OUT AND SORT OF SAY IT THEN............
WHAT WERE YOUR LOKE ON THE ULTRASOUND?   DI THEY SAY YE WE THINK YOU HAVE IT? OR NOT A WORD IF THEY CATH IT EARLY, ARE THE CHANES OF SURVIVIAL HIGH?   WAS YOURS A COMPLEX TOO???
oH JUST NEED SO BADLY TO TALK
k.
Helpful - 0
at least from what my doctors said, they can't say 'yes or no' to the cancer b/c they really don't know until they do surgery & see it and can feel different organs (ie lymph nodes feel a different way if they are malignant).  What they did tell me was that based on my CA125 score (1300), the complexity of my cyst (mostly liquid, but with an area of dense material), and the size of the tumor (9x7x9cm), that "there was a greater than 50% chance i had cancer".  that was as specific as they got - and that was from a friend who is a gyn & who i asked to look over my records.  the first doctor i saw never once said the word cancer, but immediately started talking about a complete hysterectomy, chemo, the works. certainly needed some work on patient care!

please try not to let the doctors scare you.  when is your surgery scheduled?
Helpful - 0
Hi, I just wanted to say that the report on my cyst said complex, as well, but it turned out to be endometriosis.  I think they don't know exactly what it is until they get in there and look.

Hope your surgery goes well, Toadster.
Lori
Helpful - 0
167426 tn?1254086235
Glad you got that first big step taken, you don't have to wait months now to find out what is in those "innards". I am thinking very positive for you because you went and found out early. Will this be your first grand baby in March?  God should have put zippers  on womens bellys,  easier to take out the babies  and easy to take out the baby making parts.  Take care now and rest up  for that big day Tuesday.
Helpful - 0
155056 tn?1333638688
Complex does NOT mean cancer and they CANNOT tell from a CT Scan if a complex cyst is cancer or not.  The only true way to diagnosis OvCa is by a biopsy.  I would think that if the GYN/ONC was able to see thru the CT Scan that there was cancer he would not be attempting to do it laproscopically.

The waiting and fear of the unknown is the hardest part, I know and many of us feel that horrid fear every 3 months when we go for our check ups.  

If there is anything we can do to help you get thru the next few days, just ask....we are here for you....and remember, no matter what the outcome you can't change it, don't sit and worry about something you cannot control, and the odds are on your side that everything is okay, so you are worrying over something that might not be.  

Tuesday will be here, over and done with before you know it.

Good luck
Helpful - 0
Hi - well just got "up" and there was your precious note(s) from all of you.   I am trying my very harfest to be brave and face this thing...and the ones who came before me (like yourselves) are the giants who got through this nightmare. I know I have the very best care, all pre op is done, but again the radiologist just scared the living ***** out of me, but he wasnt trying to....my husband seems to think they see things like this all the time and wanted to "put the fire out" before it got bigger so to speak.  I am trying to keep thinking pos. (Huh! hardest thing I have had to do)about my chances on it being BENIGN>. It makes me feel better to know the odds are on my side. You are soknowledgeable -you are right, I think they can pretty well tell when something is NOT good. But still as I said my gyn/onc still offered the laparoscopy after taling to the radiologist. He didnt change his approach. But we both agreed if he found something funny during that procedue,they just go ahead and "clean house".  Well, I am cleaning house period on my own...I just dont want to go back there.  And if it "is" OC, HOPEFULLY it is very early as blood work is all normal, all surrounding organs are normal, everyone of them in fact, gyn/onc did not feel a CT scan was nec. because the original ultrasound did them all 2 weeks ago and found NOTHING.
I guess I just need to talk.......urban gal (buddy in TOronto I suppose is not yet up to speed to be on, sure anxious to know how she did, she had to wait toooooooo long)   Love to hear from anybody..........just days away and it will help me....
How do those gros things get inthere and grow!!!   Was yours half fluid and half mass like stuff? I guess that is why they call them complex???  Kathy - I wonder why I am in tears all the time since yesterday - huby had to repeat everything they said to me It was like I was in a fog..............
Hugs needed........Kathy
Helpful - 0
155056 tn?1333638688
The my cysts have always been complex, the first surgery, one cysts did come back as stage 1A (and yes, I am lucky, not to have had cancer, but stage 1A is very lucky!!!!).  Simple cysts usually resolve on their own.  Alot of complex cysts are solid and liquid mix.  

I have gained this knowledge by researching on the internet and speaking and sharing with others on forums like this and also being a member of our local chapter of the Nat'l Ovarian Cancer Coalition (www.ovarian.org).  With this disease, knowledge is power.

You are in good hands with the GYN/ONC and I am so glad that your hubby was with you...it is amazing how we become brain dead when we get into these offices.  

Of course you are scared...very scared...and crying...those are all normal....I am sure every single one of us has shed tears over these fears.  

Just remember, you have no control over any of it right now....don't let it ruin your weekend, you are on Maui!!!  Enjoy the weather and the island...try to put off the worrying until Tuesday.

Pam
Helpful - 0
Pam you are a saint.  Reminds me of the song by Anne Murray, "you Needed Me" and yes that is my need at this moment in time - strong encouraging words and women like you - full of wisdom, power and courage.   I am right up there myself, when it "isn't me" I think we all are.   I am rigt in there helping others going through ***** now its my turn as the saying goes. Does Stage1 mean no cancer then Pam?  Is it like the beginning? And it got caught?   I cant remember but if I amcorrect, you saved your other ovary and uterus?  Thank you for permission to give myself to cry...thats human behaviour (like an animal thats been hurt or wounded) They retreat. Today I just want quiet, no interest in the beach (funny eh?) no t.v. no music jus want to sleep it away and I have NEVER been a depressed personality.  I want it done yesterday (lol) and on my way to recovery....hubby is a saint to just totallyorganizing mylife around me app'ts airlines, flights, hotels,you name ithes on it.
I am very lucky too - to have it done fast. Best way right? They sure dont now about why we make thee critters do they? I HATE the htought of something in there that is foreign.
Had a tugh time talking to preggie daughter and my mom in Can.THey are both being so positive and upbeat with me as I struggle in silence with them on the phone. They know me so well. Now Im in the mode of its there, your words,if it is, deal with it then, did u ever go thru the thought NEVER NEVER could this happen I am so darn healthy it is stupid!!! Ha! what a lesson.......guess im venting today  
WIth love and prayers and thanks to you for being here with me,
it means the world.  Kathy
Helpful - 0
155056 tn?1333638688
Stage 1A, is cancer...early stage, Stage 1A meaning the cancer is confined to the ovary.  No chemo is required.  The final biopsy showed the cancer, not the frozen section during sugery, so they only removed my right ovary and tube....I had a very big cyst, 22cm.  

The follow up treatment was every 3 months alternating between CT Scans and transvaginal sonos, then at the 2 year mark it was every 6 months, then at the 3.5 year mark I had cysts on my left ovary that began to change and with in 3 weeks (I asked to wait or I would have been in the OR within a week) they removed my left ovary/tube and uterus.  I choose to keep my cervix, while I was on the operating table and I saw my GYN/ONC I decided I wanted my cervix (I was 42 at the time of my 2nd surgery, no kids, and was really having a hard time with losing my female organs, now if I look back, I would feel different), I felt it was a piece of my womanhood...and ladies, it does serve a medical purpose...my doctor said it was find as I never had any abnormal paps.  I was still on the 6 month installment plan, lol - being seen every months, until the beginning of this year when I started to bleed, very scary...after numerous test, I have developed cysts again.  It is possible that during the 2nd surgery, there was a lot of scar tissue that the ovary adhered too and there may have been an ovarian cell left behind that has developed enough to cause cysts as well as produce just enough estrogen to wreck havoc on my body.

I may not be near a computer at all this weekend, but, will be checking on you....I will check back on Monday...did the doctor say anything about bowel prep?  I don't know if that is done with laproscopic surgery.
Helpful - 0
HI NO IM LEAVING FOR HONOLUL SUN. T REST UP AT THE MARROTT OVER THRE THENON MONDAY I GO THE GYN/ONC TO SEE HIM THEN OVER TO THE ANESTEIC PEOPLE LET THEM KNOW MY HISTORY,ETC.

I IMAGINE THEY WILL TELL ME MONDAY, SO IF YOU ARE HOME TOMORROW THAT WILL BE THE LAST DAY UNTIL AFTER I GET  BACK..........

I AM PRAYING WORST CASE IF IT IS..........IT WILL BE THE EARLY STAGE WITH NO CHEMO, AND AS I TOLD YOU HAVING EVERYTHING TAKEN, JUST DONT WANT TO GO THRO THIS AGAIN.

YOU HAVE BENE THROUGH THE MILL MY DEAR...LITERALLY - DOES THIS EVER STOP FOR YOU??   BUT YOU ARE HERE TO TALK ABOUT IT, AND THE WATCHING AND LOOK OUT IS ON FOR YOU...WHAT IS THE NEXT STEP FOR YO?
k.
you.......not yo!!!
Helpful - 0
Kathy,

I had the exact same experience back in April as you are having now.  I had a large complex cyst and doctor was concerned about cancer.  I had a ca-125 done the same day he found the cyst.  Has your doctor ordered that for you yet?  It was good to hear the low numbers...even though it can not pick up some cancers, it did help relieve much of my stress anyway.

Anyway, here I am 8 months later having surgery again because we left the uterus and ovary the first time.  Cysts have returned, worse than back in April (3 complex cysts now!) and uterus enlarged with fibroids.  It would have saved quite a bit of money and quite a lot of pain if I had had it all done back in April.  It was just hard for me to let it go back then.  

I don't know how others have felt, but I feel myself mourning right now the loss of my parts on Monday.  It's a very strange thing to go through.  I know I'll be okay, and am not all that nervous this time, just feel very sad.

Hope all goes well for you on Tuesday.  

Aretta
Helpful - 0
Well I guess the oldage is true "at times isery can sure appreciate some company"  THank you for your support and story.
You know, I just made a quick decison - i realy to me personally was a "no brainer" as the gyn/onc "suggested" as we age if i leave in the uterus and other healthy ovary, cysts easily can return and because of your anxiety level (I was a total MESS) in his office, he said we can still do lap. or go for the hystreectomy and tkae both ovaries. I made a snap decision wiht my husabdn right then and there, I dont want to come back and revisit this thing.   Was your complex cyst benign? He was quite a conseravtine dr. but cautious, part of it has fluid in it, the part has some "growth" size of a tennis ball, flattened out -7.2 cms.  I looked at that thing on the u/c enlarge image and I just said GET IT OUT OF THERE in a heartbeat. I know your loss is very personal for you, and we are all different.  I just feel I presonnaly dont need the organs any longer (at 52) and dont want haunting things to return ..so its an easy choice that way for me.   And you dont seem to have the high anxiety I do about benign vs cancer, that is my big hangup BUT its waiting I wish it was done yesterday - but our days are coming up really fast.  Howlong did you have to wait for your surgery? And with complexes, did you get the imprssion they ant them "GONE ASAP"?   Becuase apparently they do not resolve at all especially with stuff like tissue in there thats what the top gun told me yes.    Would sure like more info on how you are how can I help you we ar ea day apart from surgeries, where are you.   I am in Maui, surgery in Honolulu, away from home in Canada - otherwise my dr there told me I would not be having surgery until early spring (our systemt here sucks) as urban girl prob has said. I am so waiting to hear from dear Mary too..........love to hear back, crying off and on today im on my own hubby at work and just such a JOLT yes. and soooooooooo alone with this thing.....do you feel like that?
Kathy
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.